1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another form of media consumption about to die?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Nov 7, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This item suggests Blockbuster's illness is terminal.
    http://www.switched.com/2007/11/05/blockbuster-heading-for-the-dustbins-of-history/

This blog entry, off which the story is based, says Blockbuster still has some fight in it.
    http://crave.cnet.com/8300-1_105-1.html?search=blockbus

I can't remember the last time I went into Blockbuster, then again I'm not a movie guy.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Netflix has destroyed the market. I actually like the idea of returning my mailed DVDs to Blockbuster, but the wife really likes Netflix. So Mama needs to stay happy. Cause if she ain't happy, 93Devil will not be happy.

Netflix's turnaround is amazing when mailing something in and getting it back, and their DVDs normally are scratch free.

Netfix has also crushed most mom and pop stores and their scratched DVDs..

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here is another case of computers/digital media completely changing a business.

Ten years ago Blockbuster seemed like a sure thing. Five years ago it was clear they needed to change very fast or die.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I have a Blockbuster gift certificate that has been sitting in my wallet for about a year because we never go in there. In our case, it's not Netflix, but Comcast OnDemand that's keeping us out. Most of the time we go in there for the kids, but there's more than enough there to keep them happy if they want a movie or a television episode.

The only video stores that are going to be around in a few years are those that focus on cult stuff or older movies -- the stuff that doesn't appear on OnDemand -- and have a good mail-order business. Then again, if those movies are now available for download, then those stores are cooked, too.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I love Blockbuster because I do Blockbuster online. Yesterday, I returned a mailed-to-me movie to the store and picked up season 1, disc 2 of Dexter. While I watch these four eps, they'll mail my movie back for me, and I'll have the next one by Friday, just in time for me to return Dexter.

Way better than Netflix, because I have a Blockbuster less than a mile from my house.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Also:

http://www.switched.com/2007/07/24/netflix-subscriptions-drop-despite-price-cut/

That being said, I much prefer DVDs. I don't have a laptop of my own, just a work one, and we can't download anything on to it. I'd rather sit on my couch and watch movies. If I want to watch it on my computer...it plays DVDs.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Having a Blockbuster close is the key.

I have one close, and the wife still won't do it.

We split the Netflix, two for her and two for me.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yeah, if a Blockbuster is close, it's great when you can trade a mailed-to-you disc for one in the store.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Blockbuster's brick-and-mortar stores may be history soon, but I wouldn't bet against the company. It recently bought Movielink, a movie download service. Netflix also is preparing for the day when movie rentals and purchases will be primarily by download -- it offers varying numbers of hours of free broadband viewing, depending on which traditional DVDs-by-mail service you have. They're facing the same problem that newspapers face -- an old-media delivery system in an age of instant gratification, but still at a point when it would not yet be advisable to just pull the plug on the old way because the market has not yet caught up. But numerous companies are trying to find an easier way to get downloaded movies from your computer to your TV without burning it to a DVD. The problem, too, is that Hollywood is not licensing a lot of older movies for download.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here is my problem with the downloaded dvd: I don't want to watch movies on the tiny screen on my computer. I want to watch it on my 40-inch HDTV flat screen or on my roommates 80-something inch HDTV screen. That is why I don't necessarily think movie stores will go out of business.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hard to muster any tears for Blockbuster when it killed the mom and pop video stores in the '90s.

Suck a raw egg, Wayne.

12. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I thought I read something in the Wall Street Journal recently about how Blockbuster was doing real well with the mail business...that they had caught up with Netflix. Plus, the advantage was that you could go into stores and get a quick turnaround on movies.
    I don't think they're dead because they own so much real estate...they can probably sell off locations a few at a time to keep the money rolling in -- or to pay for those software engineers that are perfecting the download on demand services, so you can get "Knocked Up" to pop on your big screen in no time flat.

Draft saved Draft deleted