1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another football question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Sep 30, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A quarterback is lined up in the shotgun formation and the ball is snapped over his head. He recovers the fumble for a loss of 14. Does the quarterback receive the negative rush since he recovered, even though he never possessed the ball initially before the fumble?

If that's the case and the ball is snapped over the QB's head and a running back recovers, would the RB receive the negative rush?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Depends on what level of football. In college it goes as a "team loss." In the NFL, I think it's on the quarterback (even though he never touched the ball), but I could be wrong.

3. jps

jps Active Member

I think it's team loss in high school, isn't it? same goes for a high snap on a punt, right?

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It's a team loss, measured from the line of scrimmage to where it was recovered. But, if an offensive player recovers the ball AND tries to advance it, then he gets stuck with the loss.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Perfect ... now one more for y'all - Do interception returns count as negative yardage against the offense? I don't think it does because once it's turned over, the QB's team is no longer on offense, technically, but I just want to be sure.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

No. The INT return yardage has nothing to do with negative offensive yards.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Pern ... ahem ....
    ha ha ha I told you so.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Had a stat keeper give his team's QB minus-whatever yards once on an interception.

The guy just has no clue how to keep stats.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

True story ...

Back when I was covering preps, our flagship high school was in the midst of a run of three state titles in four years. So we staffed all their games, home and away.

It's common that stats the paper's guy keeps at a game don't jibe with those kept by the team or tallied after film study, but ours and the team's were always WAY OFF. We'd have the star running back with 150 yards, and they'd have him with 230. We'd have the QB throwing for 200 yards, and they'd have him with 275.

Eventually, we found out that their stat guy was counting passing yards from where the quarterback threw the ball , not the line of scrimmage. Same thing with running plays — if the back took a lateral five yards deep and then gained 10 yards, he got credit for a 15-yard run.

I wonder how common this is ...

10. Hey, we once had a school award first downs to its team on change of possession. That's why they would get beat 42-6 yet have 25 first downs.

11. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

Well, the scoreboard DID say it was first down ...

*ducking*

12. The statkeeper actually had the nerve to give the team another first down after an offensive penalty on first down. I tried to explain how the stat was kept when we had a completely impossible set of stats phoned in (180 yards total offense and 20-plus first downs), but finally just gave up.

Whenever they played another local school, guess whose stats we used.

Draft saved Draft deleted