1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another F'ing movie about an underdog white guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Aug 9, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

In the original script, Papale makes the team and goes on the first road trip.

And he discovers that there are MOTHERFUCKIN' SNAKES on the MOTHERFUCKIN' PLANE.

That would have been box office gold.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

According to this BLOG (and deadspin), the movie premiere didn't go well, due to the undersized white receiver's wife:
    http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/showthread.php?t=22388

Papale's wife, who I don't know, is a loud, aggressive woman. I'd guess in the neighborhoods someone like this gets by on spunk. As she entered the room, she was engaged in conversation with a young man, probably an Eagles fan. "Who are you?", she said. Those are interesting words. I defy anyone to define themselves on the spot. Or respond to such an inane question when you are the receiving end of it from someone with alcohol on their breath. The guy left the theater saying "Who are you?" She was now playing to the crowd, "I'm the wicked witch." And her family and friends chuckled. I didn't.

The next few moments in that theater were ugly. She made the absurd announcement that this screening was for family and friends. Everyone else get out. I doubt that I've ever heard a P.R. pitch similar to that at any free screening that I'd ever been invited to. I took public transportation to get here. I had gone through hoops to get into that place. I followed every directive that I received. But you know, getting a free ticket shouldn't ever cost me my self-respect.

And then it gets really ugly.

She proclaimed to the audience, "anyone that isn't a friend or family of Vince Papale raise your hand." I've never seen so many people sit on their hands. While that technique proved only the obnoxiousness of the orator, it was an ineffective way of rooting out the plague on this event, the real fans. This woman decided to go on her personal crusade. She started to go around the room. First victim, the black couple and daughter that stood out like a sore thumb at this event of middle-class white suburban wannabes ... Her family and so-called friends weren't telling her stop her tirade. After all, they just wanted seats. They were late, or drunk, or they were people like me sitting on their hands because they didn't want to be humiliated in front of a crowd of strangers. The black family, who were among the first people to come to this event, were kicked from their seats. I heard the educated and well-spoken lady say, "this isn't fair." Papale's wife made mention of the fact that "not everything is fair". I guess not.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was at one of Wahlberg's movies recently and this guy kept screaming "Can you feel it baby?" at the most inappropriate times.... I was laughing my ass off...

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I loved The Rookie, was very moved by it, and I generally hate these sugary kinds of movies.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The crusty special teams coach of the NFL team I help cover was actually on the coaching staff at ND back when Rudy was there and coached in the game Rudy played in.

When he was hired one of my co-workers made the connection and asked him a couple questions about the Rudy thing. He basically laughed it off and intimated the whole thing was a joke, and said that the closing scene where Rudy is carried off the field was done "tongue-in-cheek".

That's Hollywood for you, I guess.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Turns out the wife is pissed because *she* isn't included in the movie.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/15230823.htm

Wait a minute... The ex-wife is the one who is pissed. The current wife was at the screening.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

After reading that, I get the feeling that the real Vince Papale story would be much more interesting that the Hollywood-ized version.

10. Carmichael is still 6-8

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Disney-fying movies is nothing new. They took great liberties with Remember the Titans, in terms of what happened in games. In real life, the star LB didn't get hurt until after the season was over and the championship game was only as close as the movie suggested until the opening kickoff. The losing team finished with negative yardage on the game. They also glossed over the fact that in real life Julius was hanging out with members of the black panthers, and he only bonded with the white linebacker after he beat the piss out of a few black guys who tried to jump him.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And, according to the BLOG bulletin, she was pissed too.

Vince ain't having much luck in the women department. ::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted