1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another F'ing movie about an underdog white guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's a serious fuckup right there.

Harold Carmichael is remembered for three things ...

1. Having the consecutive games with a reception streak for a long ass time.
    2. Wearing the at-the-time unusual number 17 as a receiver (when the NFL was more militant about its number assignments, he was grandfathered in before all receivers had to be in the 80s)
    3. Being big as a fucking tree.

Jeez, they probably cast Bill Bergey as a black guy.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

On one hand, this does sound really interesting. This guy does not seem to be a Rudy-like figure who got into a game for all of one or two plays.

On the other, the last Disney old-dude-makes-it-to-the-big-time sports movie kinda sucked: "The Rookie." I wanted to like it, but it just wasn't there.

That, and Marky Mark doesn't exactly have a sterling track record when it comes to starring in these joe-blow-makes-it-big movies. See: Rock Star, which was about the guy in a Judas Priest cover band who ends up singing for Judas Priest. Judas Priest disassociated themselves from the movie. When Judas Priest wants nothing to do with you, you know you suck.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I read a review somewhere that says Kinnear doesn't cry as Vermeill. What a missed opportunity!

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, this movie is losing credibility with a bullet.

Vermeil's cry-meter is so off the charts he'd cry if Roynell Young tipped a practice pass or if Chuck Bednarik busted ass on the sideline.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This might be a great idea if the formula hadn't been done before by Rocky ... and Hoosiers ... and Rudy ... and The Rookie ... and Cool Runnings ... and Miracle ... and The Bad News Bears ... and, well, you get the idea.

So how long before we get the Michael Lewis story? Five years? Ten? It's basically the same premise.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The difference is, Michael Lewis is black and he plays for the New Orleans Saints. If he was a white dude, or he played in a big media market, they would be working on the movie right now.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, based on this movie's casting team, they could just make him play for the Jets. And maybe turn him into Mikey from the Bronx, who obsessively calls Mike and the Mad Dog every day saying how he could do better so they finally say "Dammit Mikey, just go try out and shut the hell up already!" And he does.
    Plus, they've also got the whole Katrina angle working, which I'm sure they'd turn into his ho (ya know, the whole "life is a storm" metaphor).

God, I could so be in Hollywood. 8)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

All you need to do is have the hurricane hit NY, instead of New Orleans, and you've got gold.

"The hurricane destroyed the city, but it could not destroy his dream."

9. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Yeah, this gets a little tired.

Now, there are exceptions:
    *The Rookie - Loved it. Loved the whole premise of the whole story.
    *Miracle - Anyone who doesn't like the Miracle on Ice is nuts. I really love the HBO doc about this. Cried like a baby.
    *Seabiscuit - Entertaining. Again, I cried like a baby. The book is one of my absolute favorites.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

$100 says the Wayne Chrebet story gets made in 2016.

With Keyshawn Johnson as the villian.

11. Frylock

Frylock Member

Yeah, well there's a reason some of those movies seem similar.
    They were written by the same guy.
    Mike Rich wrote The Rookie, Miracle (he didn't get credit because of the way the union has the rules set up, but did the final script) and Invincible.

12. Frylock

Frylock Member

He wrote Radio as well.
    He wasn't credited for Invincible either.

Draft saved Draft deleted