1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another F'ing movie about an underdog white guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Aug 9, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus, who pays money to see this shit? Yet another movie about a smallish white guy who beats the odds to play sports.

Now if Jesse Jackson wants to protest the making of movie after movie of these white guys who "beat the odds", then I might give him a honk.

[​IMG]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445990/

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

isn't this one directed by spike lee? ;D ;D ;D

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I always thought Rudy was the biggest farce perpetrated on the movie-going public, and proof that Notre Dame still works magic with the media, despite some Notre Dame alums believing fervently that the media is out to get Notre Dame.

Think about it: one pesky, obnoxious dweeb walk-on gets in one game, for two plays, and it's the subject of books, movies and motivational speaking tours for said little runt.

There have been thousands of walk-ons who actually had a college career lasting longer than two games. Just to give an example of a kid I covered, Kerwin Bell was a chicken farmer's kid from Mayo, Fla., played high school ball in the smallest state classification, walked on at Florida, was eighth on the depth chart when preseason practice began in 1984, then moved up because of a rash of injuries, and wound up taking the team to a 9-1-1 record, beat Georgia for the first time in about 10 years, beat FSU and wound up being a four-year starter.

If Rudy was worth a 2-hour movie, Kerwin Bell was worth a six-part mini-series. But because it's Notre Dame, it's a bleeping legend.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When I first heard about this movie I thought it was going to be about the bartender who kicked for the Falcons back in the late 70s. Tim Mazzetti was his name I think.

I've never lived anywhere near Atlanta and I was in grade school or junior high at the time but I remember that guy for some reason.

EDIT: Turns out he is also the guy who scored the first points in USFL history.

5. Sly

Sly Active Member

Movies like Rudy and Hoosiers separate the heartless from the rest of us.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I disliking dreck like this POS (made in conjucntion with ESPN, btw) makes me heartless, then I am signing up at Mayo tomorrow.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Big difference between Hoosiers and Rudy.

In Hoosiers, the hero(es) weren't asses.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm going to give this movie a chance.
    I probably won't see it in the regular theater, the dollar theater sounds good, so I'm not going to trash it.
    The real story is kind of interesting. A 30-year old bartender, who didn't play football in college, tries out for the Eagles, makes the team and plays for three years.
    I don't know how much the movie varies, but if it sticks close, it should be decent.
    Plus Elizabeth Banks is a hottie. And I like Greg Kinnear, who plays Vermeil, and Marky Mark, who is the football player.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I see old school Eagles uni's in that poster. Do Mike Quick, Wilbert Montgomery, Carl Hairston or barefoot Tony Franklin make cameos? Please, for the love of God, does Vyto Kab make an appearance?

A quick gander at the credits indicates that they had to cast ex-Eagles linebacker John Bunting, along with ex-Cowboys Randy Hughes, Cliff Harris, Scott Laidlaw and Efren Herrera. That had to be the weirdest casting session ever, trying to find the perfect Efren Herrera.

Greg Kinnear plays Dick Vermeil. Hope he's good at blubbering.

By the way the real underdog's name is Vince Papale.

10. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

http://www.northeasttimes.com/2005/1208/papale.html

The biggest problem (pardon the pun) is Wahlberg's height or lack thereof. He's 5'7". Papale is 6'2".

The guy who played Harold Carmichael (who was 6'8") is 6'1".

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think this takes place before those guys were in Philly.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely that Rudy was one of the worst sports movies I have ever seen... I hated every second of that film...

And yeah, I won't be seeing Invincible unless it gets incredible reviews...

Draft saved Draft deleted