1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another fine idea from a politician

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jan 25, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

oops. my mistake. i didn't click on the link at first -- i thought after reading SF's post quickly that fisher was the name of the state legislator.

ken cuccinelli is the idiot.

2. While he's at it, why don't we pass a law allowing parents to sue newspapers for printing pictures of athletes under 18 as child molesters? (/sarcasm, obviously)

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The sad thing is, there really is. A whole lot. But the way things are going, it could be that dipshit's last hurrah as a lawmaker. Him and a whole bunch of Repblicans in northern Virginia who still think we're living in an era 50 years ago.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why a week? Why not a month? Why not a year? Why not 10 years?

5. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Politicians: Always looking for ways to fuck reporters before reporters can fuck them.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Good luck defining any of those.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I'm still new to the business, but I've had two instances where I've had to talked to someone who just had a close friend/relative die. Both times I had people seeking me out to talk. I had one coach of a player who died who called me almost every night for the next week. I think in a lot of ways, it helped get the grief off their chest. I think you have to be tasteful in how you handle these situations and I'd like to think that most reporters are.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Fortunately, the bill was killed without getting a single vote of support.

But to add what a loon this guy is...

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How does one determine if the family member is grieving? What if someone kills theirs spouse and is immediately arrested, is that person considered grieving?

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

When I was a cub news side reporter, I had to do this with some frequency, and it was always the hardest thing I've ever done, especially when a kid had died. A 13-year-old girl stabbed herself and lit herself on fire after a fight with her parents, and I had to go knock on the door and ask them about it. I was as polite as possible, apologized profusely the minute someone came to the door, and still got it slammed in my face.

But another time, I had a situation similar to Fisher's. A teenage girl had killed herself after being teased by her high school classmates, and when I talked to the mom, she invited me in. She said she felt like her daughter had died of a disease, the same way should might have died of cancer. We talked for hours, and I wrote a 35-inch story about this girl's life that included some of her poetry (she was super smart, just a little nerdy). I went back over to the mom's house to return some pictures after the story ran, and the mom felt like I had helped her tremendously. She said she was tired of having to explain why her daughter had killed herself, tired of people talking to her about whether she thought she could have done more to prevent it. She felt like from that point on, she could just give them my article and say, See? This is what I went through. This is how hard we tried to get her help, to make her happy, this is how brilliant she was, and it still wasn't enough.

I haven't done one of those next-day death stories in awhile, but here (as free advice) is what I always tried to say to people to help them feel like I wasn't a vulture:

I want to make sure your son/daughter/mom/dad isn't going to be just a few sentences in a newspaper, and then forgotten. Tell me about his/her life. Some people may not have known him/her well, and they never will know your loved one if he/she is just another newspaper story.

Not very original, but it works more than it fails.

And if you're in a situation where the family won't talk to anyone, wants to deal with their grief privately and feels like the media is making this harder (but you still think there is a bigger story there) sit down and write them a letter. Tell them you're incredibly sorry for their loss, and you understand why they don't want to talk. Tell them if they're ever ready to tell their story, you promise to do it with accuracy and respect, and that you will drop whatever you're doing if they feel like talking.

I did that when an athlete was in the hospital once. The family was devastated over what had happened, and wouldn't talk to anyone. Another newspaper tried to sneak a reporter into the hospital. I wrote my letter, then gave it to a friend of the family, who hand delivered it. (Competitor's reporter was caught and thrown out of the hospital before he got anything.)

The family never forgot that. They hated the other newspaper, absolutely hated them, and months later, let me into their lives for what turned out to be the biggest story of my career.

I understand that's not possible when you HAVE to get the story right away. But sometimes you can get the real story with a little respect and patience.

Draft saved Draft deleted