1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another family tragedy in our newspaper family

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The wife of assistant sports editor Matt Randolph of The Advocate in Baton Rouge died Sunday from injuries suffered in a Saturday accident. She was 40.

I'm on vacation and just getting word of this. Apparently she came through surgery after 8 hours but died of complications the next morning. I still can't believe it. I kept closing and reopening the e-mail, hoping the news would be different the next time I read it. Finally, in shock, I realized it was real. One of our online editors gave me more details about an hour ago.

Among the children she leaves behind is a 3-year-old daughter.

Matt and his family could use your thoughts and, if you are spiritual, your prayers and positive energy.

2. That's awful. I'm sorry.

3. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Wow. Simply awful.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Good luck to Matt and his family during this tough time. My prayers are with them.

I e-mailed him on a whim in college asking for some career advice. He called me and we talked about the industry and our university for about an hour. I haven't talked to him since, but he seems like a great guy.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Prayers go out to Matt and his family.
    That is awful and I can't even imagine what he is going through.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hang in there, J_D, and condolences to the Randolph family.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's so sad. I pray for all who are affected by this tragedy.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's terrible. I'm so sorry.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Awful tragedy, especially so close to the holiday season. My deepest sympathies to Matt's family during this difficult time.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That is horrific. Any time of the year, that is horrific.

My condolences to Matt and his family and nice job, JD, bringing this to people's attention. "Nice" in the sense that it was a heartfelt gesture.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

between this and the baltimore copy desk editor losing two kids in a fire, i'm beyond words.

12. This is terrible. Matt is such a great guy. My heart and prayers go out to him and his family.

Draft saved Draft deleted