1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another example of the dangers of Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Jun 3, 2009.

1. topsheep

topsheep Member

Very funny.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If legitimate sources are tweeting, that tells me they don't think they need traditional media in the literal sense of the word. Any outlet that reports about things on Twitter then is, by definition, already scooped by Twitter itself. It seems to be mostly a marketing toy, when you filter out any reliability issues due to false ID. Then it becomes mostly about the journalists-turned-"look at me" typers, whose views are borderline more interesting than the assholes views of every other typer out in the world.

Somebody surely labeled the people "old" and "out of touch" who weren't excited about New Coke, DAT and Ethanol, too.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

La Russa sues Twitter:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/06/04/larussa.twitter.ap/index.html

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Winner. Twitter buy-in is the refuge of people who want to believe they are keeping up with technology and trends. It's nothing but a blip, and it's 15 minutes has no more than a few seconds left.

5. ondeadline

With Twitbin on Firefox (which feeds the tweets automatically) and following lots of news sources, I'm enjoying this "blip."

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The twitbin does sound like the place where this is headed.

7. ondeadline

It's excellent. I had little use for Twitter when I had to go to twitter.com to see the tweets of the people I'm following. But now it's on a sidebar that stays on my browser. I've had that set up for two or three weeks and I've learned of lots of breaking news from the feed. I'll bet that several SportsJournalists.com posters are among the people I'm following.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What is so assaulting about Twitter, and Facebook to some extent, is that if you're having fun, or going out to have fun, or thinking about having fun, by God you are duty-bound to tell the rest of the fucking world about it. I cannot read my Facebook any longer -- it's choked with uninteresting bits of shit about junior's latest life achievements (dropping a deuce in the toilet), weather reports or breaking news that the car is going in for a wash.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not planning to have any fun tonight or the rest of the week, if it makes you feel any better.

10. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I'm surprised it took this long for a lawsuit to be filed.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if it takes long to be dismissed.

12. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

What makes you so sure about that Rick? I happen to think LaRussa has a pretty good case.

Draft saved Draft deleted