1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another example of the dangers of Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Jun 3, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I blame old people.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You'd also have to have some days where your eighth tweet is the one about your pitcher.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Facebook and Twitter: Danger, Will Robinson.

4. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

I would never mess with Facebook. But our paper uses Twitter and we've developed a fairly decent following off that alone and have managed to drive at least some folks to the Web site or print edition.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

True. I am amazed at the young punks who tend to be in charge of hip Internet newspaper sites who believe all these people are who they say they are. I'd love to see these reckless bastards get burned. In this business, you don't run ANYTHING on fucking twitter unless you are SURE it is the person. And how you figure that out??? Good luck. I've seen some of these higher ups think twitter is the next way to acquire comments from sources. Bunch of shit. What are there? 37 characters? Fuck off, higher ups.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Behold the power of T.O. plus Twitter:
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-135/Welcome-mat-rolls-only-so-far-for-T-O-.html
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-137/T-O--takes-shotgun-approach-to-house-hunting.html
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-141/T-O--chirps-back-over-housing-drama.html

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Well struck.

8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I'm doing PR for an indoor football league and we've been using Twitter effectively to post in-game updates ... it's helpful because a couple of our arenas have weak internet access.

Trouble is, the team twitterers don't realize that they're an official communication vehicle and I had to devise an "official twitter style guide" to help them, which makes me confident that the apocalypse is indeed soon upon us.

9. [​IMG]

Twitter 2.0 VP of Operations

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For the record, it wasn't me.

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I don't know what's worse, the actual story or the comments that follow that want to abolish computers from schools. That's the answer. Keep the kids in technological darkness because they won't find computers and cell phones and Blackberries outside of school.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1. Idiot calls sports department, claims to be Tom Brady and that he wants to be traded.

2. Idiot tweets that he's Tom Brady and wants to be traded.

Why does "1" have an 0.0001% chance of ever happening, while "2" has a very real chance of happening?

I'd rather be called a dinosaur than to throw all my journalistic skepticism down the toilet in a desperate attempt to show "We're hip!"

Draft saved Draft deleted