1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another example of the dangers of Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

This story ran in today's Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1078584.html

Wonder what "Miss Lovely And Talented" would think about this.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

This has always been my biggest concern regarding journalism's use of the communication explosion. How do you know anyone is who they say they are? That goes for everything from e-mails and texts to Twitter and Facebook.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I love how the golden rule is to not use e-mailed quotes unless absolutely necessary, and yet Facebook and MySpace and Twitter updates are published without second thought.

We were duped!!!!! There's a picture of Chad and everything!!!!

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I think the title should be "Another example of the dangers of stupidity."

Seriously.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True, 'beetus, but a lot of the higher-ups in this biz are going ga-ga at all things Twitter without ever considering these possibilities. It's gonna bite someone pretty hard at some point.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Tony La Russa's suing Twitter because someone set up an account saying it was him and posted updates about the Cardinals. Profanity-laced, I can only assume.

If you really want to imitate La Russa, you'll need to change your Twitter message six times in the eighth inning, just because you're that goddamned smart.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This made me smile :D

8. NDub

NDub Guest

[​IMG]

Twitter can useful if used correctly. Newspapers can establish a following and tweet something like "Local man found dead in apartment, city's 31st homicide. Read more in today's Podunk Times."

Sure there are imposters for athletes, celebrities, etc., but Twitter isn't evil. It's part of the future of journalism, not necessarily the whole thing. There's nothing newspapers can do to stop that.

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I thought about something along those lines, but I've been accused in the past of coming up with confusing titles so I wanted to be more straight forward this time around. Although I haven't checked the Wiki Dictionary yet to see if Twitter is listed as a synonym under "Stupidity." ;)

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't have a major beef with Twitter. But it is a new means for stupid people to prove it to the world.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Were the authorities able to apprehend the impostor drunk, asleep behind a wheel of an SUV at an intersection?

12. Hackie

Hackie New Member

You have to be extremely careful with Twitter. It can be a nice tool, for event notices and game updates and etc.

I know our following has expanded because of it, simply because it's the latest craze and people realize we aren't completely old school.

Draft saved Draft deleted