1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Example of the Adults Wrecking Youth Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/nyregion/woman-accuses-youth-lacrosse-league-of-discrimination-in-suit.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=New%20Canaan%20&st=cse

There was the assistant lacrosse coach pressuring one of the girls’ head coaches to play his daughter and her friends more often. When the coach refused, the girls desiring more time would stop passing the ball to some of their teammates. They would besmirch them, repeating spiteful cracks other girls were supposedly making about them.

They were fat, they were stupid, they were utterly miserable lacrosse players.

What’s more, the boys were getting more of everything — uniforms, goalie equipment, practice time, even referees. The girls’ coaches would sometimes be stuck with ill-fitting outfits, unlike the boys’ coaches.

And then the head coach herself, trying to rectify this, was maligned and finally fired.

So went the theatrics alleged in a lawsuit the coach filed against a lacrosse league in a well-off Connecticut suburb.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That article doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Reading it I have a hard time figuring out what the real problem is.
    Also, wouldn't it only make sense that the boys lacrosse teams would get more equipment than the girls teams because the boys game requires more equipment?

3. To me, the answer is simple: When the girls don't pass because they want more playing time, they get no playing time.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The first thing that struck me is that yes, the boys got more equipment because the boys' game needs more equipment. I mean, the players can't breathe on each other in girls' lacrosse.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And wasn't New Canaan the same town where the youth football coaches burned the third-place trophies?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes - it's a town of entitled parents with huge egos. Now the 2 biggest youth sports programs are in shambles because of the adults.

7. I know that boys lacrosse requires more equipment than girls lacrosse, but no goalie equipment for four of six teams seems like more than an oversight.

Draft saved Draft deleted