1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another example of liberal elitist hypocrisy....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'm willing to rile him up a little more, just for the spectacle: The story was done by the lie-bral Boston Globe, which HAS NO BLACK SPORTS REPORTERS!!!!!

(Yawn runs around the block, screaming and foaming at the mouth. This delicious irony, once he puts it down on paper and calms himself down enough to read it over the telephone, will finally earn him Hannity's on-air approval and love.)

For the rest of you:

The Harvard thing is pretty surprising, no doubt about it, but I wouldn't say it proves or disproves any stereotypes.

And no, I'm not accusing the Globe of racism, not when Michael Holley, Michael Smith, Howard Manly, Jerome Solomon, Larry Whiteside, Jim Greenidge and Joe Burris have served as reporters or columnists there in recent years. And Gregory Lee, the current senior ASE, is African-American.

2. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Despite what the article may say, keep in mind that the Red Sox were the last MLB team to add an African-American player. So, lets not blame the University for what might be in the article. After all, the majority of Harvard students are NOT from Mass. They are just very wealthy kids from upper crust Conservative/Republican (GASP!) families in many cases. Maybe something else besides Liberalism is behind whatever the problem is.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Outofplace, I posted that story because the coxswain of the Harvard varsity heavyweight crew told me to.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Numbers, please?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You sure about that? (What happened to Solomon, who replaced Michael Smith on the Patriots' beat?) They do have reporters of other backgrounds on the staff, though, including Fluto, who covers the Bruins and NASCAR. Just because they don't have any blacks doesn't mean that they don't have any diversity on staff.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So is every school of higher learning north of Bob Jones University a liberal elitist institution?

Where do you conservatives get your smarts then?

..... Oh. .... Wait. Never mind.

7. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

There are more Latino/Hispanics in the U.S. than African Americans. Shouldn't we be outraged for their lack of coaching positions first?

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

If the percentage of Hispanic college athletes was equal to or greater than blacks, then yes. But they're not. So, no.

9. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Check their websit, Mighty_Wingman. They (at least about 2 years ago) had a description of the school that boasted of their diversity and giving figure regarding how many states and countries were represented in their enrollment and in what percentages.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Solomon left right before the football season began, at which point Mike Reiss took over as top man on the Pats' beat. I'm not sure what their newest hire, Chris Gaspar's background is (and I've seen him in person; it's just hard to tell).

As I mentioned at the bottom of my post (after the Yawn-baiting session), the Globe's got a lengthy list of black sportswriters who've worked there in recent years, and they've got several women on staff now (Springer, Benjamin, MacMullan, Matson, Bickelhaupt).

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

The Boston Globe is conservative? Sweet Jesus the delusion of people....

Harvard is a liberal school, maybe not like Berkeley, but liberal nonetheless.

Apparently I don't have to paste the story because some have been able to negotiate the link.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Who the fuck are you calling delusional? No one (certainly not me) came remotely close to calling the Globe a conservative paper.

I realize that thinking isn't your forte, but if you're going to post on a writers' message board, at least acquire some basic reading comprehension skills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.