1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another ESPN dispute with MLB

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Sep 24, 2007.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

It's all about cross-promotion now. ATH and PTI (and I'm assuming First Take, but I never watch because I can't stand Bayless) pick their topics based primarily on ESPN/ABC coverage. Is it any surprise that for years they wouldn't talk about NASCAR at all, and now that ESPN has a piece of the NASCAR pie, they talk about it more.

The cross-promotion is everywhere, and it's not going away. Not that this is sports-related, but it certainly shows the example of cross-promotion, last night I was watching WWE's RAW. I counted at least three shameless cross-promotion plugs during the show. One for the ring announcer's new album coming out next week, another segment in which they talked about Stone Cold's movie, which was released on DVD recently and yet another segment where Steve-O from Jackass did a little plug for his Dr. Steve-O show, which was coming up next on USA.

Movies are famous for doing this (having an actor drinking Coke while eating Doritos), but that was all subliminal. This crap is blatant and over-the-top obvious.

I say if they're going to show commercials during the broadcast, why am I paying for these damn channels?

2. what he said. I love the NFL, but give me a baseball game that means something 100 times out of 100 against a Week 4 football rout.

You think more people might tune in to watch elimination baseball, or rodeo, or whatever car show/poker/world's strongest man from 1993 was playing on ESPN2?

Draft saved Draft deleted