1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

another ESPN critic/critique

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DocTalk, Nov 15, 2006.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/15/commentary/mediabiz/index.htm?postversion=2006111513

And I thought this board was tough on ESPN...

2. The Basement

The Basement Member

i don't think it's any tougher of a critique. it's just that it's CNNMoney. CNNMoney? what is that?

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

And you thought that football was a sport and television was entertainment?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Whenever we were talking about this subject before, the pro MNF crowd (led by Lugnuts) kept pointing out that the show was getting the highest cabal ratings ever, and even if we didn't like it, too bad, because everyone else did.

Well, the putrid Seahawks-Raiders game from last week just so happened to bethe lowest rated game in the history of Monday Night Football. So clearly the bells and whistles aren't keeping anyone interested when the games blow. I still contend people are watching despite all the bullshit, and more and more, they're doing it through gritted teeth. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

It didn't take long for Seahawks-Raiders to get knocked out of the top spot. Or moved up from the bottom spot.

This week's Buccaneers-Panthers monstrosity was the lowest-rated MNF ever. And with just cause.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dell. That's the perfect company for ESPN to benchmark. They both have that "You'll buy the crap we're selling and like it" thing down cold.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tough column . . . but corporate-tough. With SportsJournalists.com, it's personal.

TK'll be gone, after this season. That'll help.

Now, we need to find a way to guide Alimony Boy out the door and onto the street . . .

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I watched Heroes last week. Even though I had no idea what was happening because I missed the first four or five episodes, it was better than watching MNF.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Kornheiser's not the real problem, he's just the largest sympton of the problem. He's not suited to game analysis, which is what he's attempting to do. There are easily dozens of better game analysts. He's there for biting satire and quips, a talent that is not easily combed into a 3 1/2 football game. And a talent that has yet to be produced, at all. It's not that he's misused or underused, but his role has no place on MNF. It's NOT MST3K. If it was ESPN's intention to convert Monday Night Football into Mystery Science Football 3000, Kornheiser might be a good choice.
    Kornheiser aside, Theesman sucks. Tirico has no gravitas, no presence. The least Kornheiser can do to retain any credibility is to admit that he sold his soul to ESPN, a sale ALL of us would do. For the moeny he's making from ESPN, 99% of us would be ESPN's bitch, and make no ,mistake Tony Kornheiser, is ESPN's bitch.

MNF3K: Frank Caliento, George Castanza & Lewis Black

10. Without passing judgment on the argument, can I say that "Look. The Blogs Are Pissed!" doesn't strike me as compelling evidence of anything, ever.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Whether he's part of the problem or the solution, can we please have someone blindside Joe in the pressbox and break that friggin leg again? Anything to get him off the air.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Mystery Science Football 3000"

THAT was funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted