1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another energy thread: the Pickens Plan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jul 8, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

God, you're a damn hippie.
    Get a haircut and buy some shoes that aren't Birks.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've got some non-Birks. Let's see, a pair of Tevas, tie-dyed Chuck Taylors, New Balance running shoes, Sanuks and Reefs.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Here in Cowshitistan, T-Boone's wind plans are all fine and dandy. It's his water plans that have the locals less than amused.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Control the water, you control everything.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yup.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Wind farms are popping up in NW Iowa. One of the highways I took to get to Minneapolis cuts right through the heart of one of the new farms. The windmills are pretty impressive.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

wind, solar, nuclear and a lot more drilling in our country and off our shores.

Those are a good first step towards becoming a self-sufficient nation.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Problem with more drilling is that the way the oil treaties and such work, we'd still have to be shipping our own oil to china and india.

It's one of those right-wing red meat ideas that sounds good but really wouldn't help anyone but the oil companies.

9. zagoshe

In the short term, perhaps, but in the long term, treaties are made to be broken

10. zagoshe

Hmmm. I see noted right-wingers Richard Durbin and Harry Reid are now warming up to the idea of off-shore drilling as well...

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN0930217120080709?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One of the things Big Chief Okie Lite failed to mention is that switching cars wholesale to natural gas will cause a spike in demand and thus a spike in natural gas prices. Plus, the wind doesn't always blow at constant speed, and so you have to have a natural-gas backup. So it's not the simple panacea he's selling. I will grant you it's a step toward being weaned off the Saudi tit.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Just saw a commercial during whichever nightly news we have on in the newsroom for pickensplan.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted