1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another energy thread: the Pickens Plan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jul 8, 2008.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It's because of NIMBY. Everyone is in favor of windfarms, etc. until they actually have to look at them.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Plenty of places in SoDak and NoDak where no one even has to look at them.

Get it done. It isn't the sole solution. But if we keep waiting on a magic bullet, we're screwed.

Up the windmills, I say.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

I have no problem with them. I like driving past the windmill "farm" off I-39 in Godforsaken Middleofnowhere, Illinois when I go back to see my parents in Wisky.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's an idea:

Why not sink some government money into putting up windmills on the reservations?

Cheap, clean energy and you help alleviate some of the most awful poverty anywhere in the nation.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I love, love, love driving past the windmills near Palm Springs. Just a phenomenal sight.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

This was quality.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

I like the way you think. I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's soon to be available in BLOG!-form.

But I can hook you up with the dead tree version, too.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought the same thing when I drove past them. I really didn't understand how anyone could raise a fuss over them. And when I drive by them on the Pa Turnpike, I still don't understand the quibble.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've actually checked into putting a small wind turbine up on my house. Local codes won't let me.

There's no reason every house can't have one, especially in the plains and on the coasts.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As has been stated, there are entire counties of southwestern North Dakota that are virtually empty. There are no neighbors to piss off, except for coyotes and rattlesnakes and the occasional bison.

The state of ND, which had the forsight to begin its own bank and grain-selling operation many decades ago, should do this on its own and become energy-independent while making the oil/coal companies pay a huge extraction tax for the ecological mess they're making/will make of the state west of the Missouri.

I've always wondered why the plains states haven't cashed in on wind power, and why the sunbelt states haven't cashed in on solar. There's no reason everyone in Arizona shouldn't have some sort of solar power.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

NIMBY is probably the main problem. You've got to get the power from where the turbines are to where the people are.

Draft saved Draft deleted