1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another energy thread: the Pickens Plan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jul 8, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I was on a long drive this morning and, thanks to satellite radio, caught his hour-plus stop at CNBC. I haven't been a big fan of T. Boone, but he made a ton of great points and I could not agree with him more than when he says we've done next to nothing since the '70s, when we last had an energy crisis; it's time we do SOMETHING. His plan may not be perfect and it's not the be-all, end-all that will provide all our answers for 50 years, but I'm tired of all the talk and so little actually being done.

Yeah, his business ventures stand to profit for some, maybe much of what he plans, but if I'm faced with him getting richer or sending my money to Saudi Arabia or Venezuela, that's a pretty easy choice.

The details are at http://pickensplan.com/

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So now that he owns Oklahoma State he's going to try and buy the whole fucking country?

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but doesn't natural gas have a tendency to blow up a lot easier than regular gasoline?

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I didn't read the link, but is his plan to hire Bill Self to solve the problem?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Do we really want to hand over the future of energy in this country to a guy who thinks Mike Gundy is a good football coach?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

You sonofabitch. That was my idea.

7. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

The problem with natural gas now is that the prices are all over the map. I clicked on the www.cngprices.com link provided by his page, and natural gas ranges from about $2 in some areas outside NYC to $4 in Fairfield County. At least when I fill up now, I know that prices stay consistent for the most part (unless I'm spending 40 cents per gallon more in Connecticut, but that's another story).

8. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I heard him on NPR this morning. Forgetting his background, his ideas make a lot of sense and people should check them out.

He noted that if you filled North Dakota with wind mills, you could supply power to the entire US.

9. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

Apparently that's the third answer he's given. Two of them came in one paragraph.

From http://pickensplan.com/theplan:

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He's not taking into account the theory of Peak Wind.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'd listen to Carl Pickens energy plan if he didn't drop so many passes.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Why our country isn't a poor man's replica of Holland I'll never know. We should have windmills everywhere. And while we're at it, put some hydro-power turnstiles in our rivers and oceans. This is just assanine.

Draft saved Draft deleted