1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another editor gets out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline, Salt Lake Tribune e-mail:

Colleagues,
    I regret to announce the departure of Jon Clifford, news editor of Sports. Jon is leaving the business, taking a job with the state designing newsletters and pamphlets. We will miss him mightily, but this is the right move for his family at this time. I'm sure he'll be managing again very soon, given his many talents and ability.
    What I think of Jon is probably best shown by the fact this was the third time I have hired him and we have worked together for the better part of a decade in total. We still joke about our second or third day together when he was a fresh-faced rookie designer and he asked me in all seriousness whether Chick Hearn, the legendary L.A.
    basketball announcer who invented the terms slam dunk and air ball among others, had a nickname. "Uh, yes, Jon, it's Chick," I said, as his colleagues on the desk howled in laughter at the thought that someone actually believed a parent had named their kid "Chick."
    (though the longer I'm in Utah, the less weird that seems to be).
    Jon has come a long way since that day and has grown into an outstanding editor and leader. He was instrumental in The Tribune again being recognized this year as one of the nation's elite sports sections. Jon is widely respected nationally and, more importantly, universally respected by our reporters and editors here.
    Thank you, Jon
    --Michael

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm trying to work on my own exit strategy from this business. Best of luck to ya Jon!

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good luck, John.

And Riddick, so am I. Designing pamphlets for the state? Dude, I think I can do that kind of job, and be happy.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

His parents didn't name him "Chick" but they did name him "Francis Dale" which isn't far off.

5. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Props to getting out when the getting is good.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Holy shit. I respect Jon Clifford as much as anyone in this biz.

After working in the same company with him for several years, I finally got a chance to meet him at a recent APSE regional, where he gave a wonderful presentation on what the Trib was doing to promote their high school sports page on their site (www.tribpreps.com.)

Huge, huge loss for the newspaper industry.

7. And a huge gain for the newsletter industry, evidently.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Talked with him a few times and came away with a favorable impression. Have heard only very good things about him.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Government pamphlets is an area that I thought could always use some real expertise. Perhaps Jon can bring a new error of excitement to the pamphlet business.

Some of the self help pamphlets that the state of Utah puts out are pretty well done. One recent one I came across while staying in Park City-
    :
    "Supporting 3 Wives on Bus Drivers Salary"

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I've got a former co-worker who left designing the A section to take a job designing brochures for a local company. Got a huge pay raise, works 9-5 and is generally much, much happier. Never met, or quite frankly, heard of Jon but wish him the best.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Moddy. No. 3 editor at the Albany Times-Union got out to run the paper for the state teachers' association, and I saw at least two similar stories this week.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Last one left, please turn out the lights.

Draft saved Draft deleted