1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another dumb football question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Dec 4, 2006.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

On the sidelines at a lot of college games (and maybe pro, I don't know), there's a large rectangular mat -- maybe 5x15 feet -- with numbered ovals on it. I think usually the numbers are in order, but I believe I've also seen them in a more random order.

I've seen these before and noticed it yet again at a college game I went to this weekend, but I have no idea what they're for.

My first guess would be it's some sort of organizing method for players, but I've never seen anyone standing on the ovals.

Anyone know what their purpose is?

2. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

It's usually a Special Teams mat. Eleven circles. In theory, supposed to assure that you don't run the platoon out there with an incorrect number of participants.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Ah, thanks.

Now, if the Denver game is any guide, they need something to remind the punter to wear his helmet.

Draft saved Draft deleted