1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Doonesbury casualty in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by terrier, Dec 3, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Says you. The reason why it seems he's a one-trick pony is because it's the GOP in charge of the White House. And the GOP who's been a bit more notorious in the news. When a Democrat is in the White House, he'll shift his targets to them.

Of course, if you'd actually read him when Clinton or Carter were president, you'd know that.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I had no idea Doonesbury was still being published.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Does it trouble anyone else that the best-researched, most powerful, most empathetic, most moving expression of the experiences of average American foot soldiers in this war - and after they've come home - is found on the comics page of the newspaper?

Mr. Trudeau has done a remarkable job of giving voice to the frontline GI in Iraq, and to the veterans as they return home. Not only in the strip, but on his website, his mastery of their vernacular and the details of their lives sets a very high standard for reporting.

I wish we had a few more folks writing for the A section with his eye for the salient detail and his ear for the rattle of authentic speech - and with hearts wide open for what those young men and women have given of themselves on our behalf.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

While fulfilling his dream of hearing Pet Sounds on CD.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Dead. On. Nails.

And Hondo, aside from the aforementioned beatings Clinton and Carter took when they were in office, you must not have paid attention to the evisceration Trudeau gave Ted Kennedy about everything from Chappaquiddick (and rightfully so), to his crazy-ass speech patterns that somehow left out those pesky verbs.

"A verb, Senator. We need a verb..."

When the Republicans are in control of the White House for 20 of the last 28 years and the Congress for at least half that time, they're going to be targets. And when one of those presidents in charge is GW Bush, well... it's manna from heaven for someone like Trudeau.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

All of your reading comprehension problems aside, I made it clear that my opinion was based on how the strip has gone in recent years.

And there are a lot of Dems he could be tweaking now. He has simply decided to be lopsided in the strips. That's okay. It's his candy store. I only expressed an opinion.

Naturally, because it didn't fall into lockstep with the left wing of SportsJournalists.com, I get ripped. That's okay too. You guys ain't gettin' a cherry.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We're getting all worked up over a fucking cartoon? A cartoon? Please. C'mon, people.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If he has a problem with it, tell him he's hurt your feelings and he can best make up for it by going with you to your family's 2008 Thanksgiving celebration. :)

Mr. Full, you've been a member in good standing of this board for over three years.

Are you really surprised? :D

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He's coming to LinZee's bat mitzvah, so it must be love. I wonder if Gary would do that for Jane.

We've sort of negotiated from 'I'm not living anywhere with fucking Doonesbury books on the shelves' to 'They can go over there on the far left side, behind the plant.' We'll see.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

Since I put our opinion page together, I get to see Doonesbury in advance and I can tell you Ray lives.
    Actually, today's strip has BD saying Ray's OK.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Actually, that was Phil Slackmeyer, Mark's dad. But he and Andrews are easily confused (one was a mogul and one a lobbyist).
    Turned out one of BD's guys took the hit - still has a pulse, at least. Sounds like BD's on the next flight to Landestuhl.

Draft saved Draft deleted