1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Digital Recorder Thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Okay, since I'm on a technology binge at the moment, I'm looking to buy a new (my first) digital voice recorder on the heels of buying my new iMac!

So, which digital voice recorders do you suggest?

Keep in mind I want to store some of my files from the recorder on my iMac (for use in future podcasts). And I want to keep the cost down.

Any suggestions?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Re: Another Digital Recorded Thread

There are a ton of threads on this.

But I like the iPod accessory. It stores on the iPod and goes right into the ITunes.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yeah, I have a third-generation iPod Nano (this one: http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/). Does it work with those?

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

As long as it has a normal iPod transfer thing at the bottom, it should work. It ran me about $40. I am liking it a lot. Players always ask what it is and they ask to see my music. It's a good ice-breaker.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The memory capacity, even on the low-end digitals, has come a huge way in the last 2-3 years. Used to be you'd get an hour or two, now it's like 144 hours on a $40-60 Olympus model ...

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

my olympus works great with my macbook

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If you think you might be using it to create podcasts, you might want to think about something higher quality, like a Zoom.

Sonys are not compatible with Macs. The Olympus models are compatible with Macs that have Windows Media Player for Mac, but they are not compatible with iTunes. The Olympus models in the 300 series can play MP3s, but are primarily digiital voice recorders -- same as a music player CAN record voices, but don't do a good job of it. A recorder that is primarily a voice recorder can give you certain things -- filter out background noise, allow you to bookmark passages you want to return to, etc.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I would try using a minidisc recorder for podcasts if you don't want to shell out the bucks for a Zoom H2. Key to podcasts is a good mic. Don't rely on a built-in mic because they generally sound terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted