1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another crazy swimming parent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.courant.com/sports/high-schools/hc-loricol0920.artsep20,0,7423068.column

This one throws out all kinds of wild accusastions about the coach being a pedophile.
    What is it about swimming that attracts these kind of people?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That lady needed a really good ass-whipping.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"What could be done to prevent this kind of thing from happening to somebody else — especially in this day and age, when it's not uncommon for parents to be critical of coaches or athletic directors or administrators?

Try to take care of the problem right away, Bojko suggested.

"As soon as there is a problem, address it and come to some kind of resolution," she said. "Because something like this cannot go on." "

Sounds like this coach did exactly as she suggested to others in the story, but this parent was just so nuts that nothing would have worked.

What the school should have done is brought the parent in a meeting and demand she cease and desist, or get arrested on harassment charges.

And I'm glad the coach sued the mother, although I'm willing to bet the mom hasn't paid.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Impressed by the daughter's reaction. More proof that these idiot parents embarrass their own kids even more than they embarrass themselves.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I did a lot of research on this as part of a BLOG I wrote, and this column doesn't even begin to touch on half of how wacky this parent was. This mom wasn't just a crazy parent -- she was a single mom who self-identified as her daughter's swimming career manager from a very early age. She went all over Topix.com-linked newspaper sites (usually under some handle related to Xena, the Warrior Princess) and trashed this coach and everyone else in life. It was common for other posters to tell her how stupid she was.

The daughter is swimming in at a small West Virginia college, far, far away from mom. I doubt, though, she has that elusive scholarship, or is going to get Michael Phelps money to pay back mom. This mom was the extreme of someone, especially someone in a personally desperate situation, who thought baby girl would use sports to rescue them from a sorry life.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There should a spot in parent hell for this broad, right with the texas cheerleader hit-Mom and Mr. Marinovich.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

With all the grief she gave the coach, I wonder if the local prep reporter got the benefit of your crazy wrath.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't know if this is the mom, but the name matches up.

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=hope+lima&init=quick#/laurielima?ref=sgm

And this is the name that matches up with the kid, and they are Facebook friends.

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=hope+lima&init=quick#/profile.php?id=1089120023&ref=search&sid=683580265.2717456627..1

Draft saved Draft deleted