1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another conservative attack on people with vaginas fails

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Fixed.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ridiculous? Not one little bit.

If it's really human life, you should be out there stopping it BY. ANY. MEANS. NECESSARY.

The fact that 99.9999997% of the anti-abortionists never do it, means they don't really believe it. They SAY it, but they take no actions in accordance with that belief.

(Bill James laid out this argument 25-some years ago in an Abstract essay on people who scream about "society's misplaced priorities" and hand-wring about athletes making gazillions in our society while cancer researchers are [relatively] modestly paid, and James laid out the counterevidence that while almost everybody SAYS they value cancer researchers much much more than athletes, very few in fact take actions in accordance with that belief.)

So as far as "respecting the clinic bombers," why sure, "respect" them for actually acting in accordance with their beliefs when most others in this whole bullshit argument don't.

But if they break the law, tough shit for them. Give them the needle if they qualify, and they should, since any such actions would be quite obviously fully premeditated.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The next time you smack anybody down will be the first, but you just keep on patting yourself on the back.

Zag, you really are the Barry Horowitz of SportsJournalists.com.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get the point you are trying to make, but you lose me at the point of respecting murderers.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, "respect" won't do 'em much good when the iron bars slam shut, or the needle slips in.

"Woohoo, I got respect ....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...."

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No, a lot of the "full information" laws and requirements are meant to give patients information that they may not know about, such as risks.

This law wasn't going to do that. The woman already knows she's pregnant. It is just designed as a guilt trip. Abortions have been done for hundreds of years, the last 40 of them legally, without this requirement being necessary. If anything, it adds to the red tape.

And besides, I thought Republicans were against government mandates. Heck, I seem to recall a whole big hullaboo over "The government will decide what doctor you'll see!" when government health care was being debated (ignoring the fact that corporations already do exactly that). Yet, they seem like they want to tell women to undergo an extra procedure even though they don't want it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.