1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another conservative attack on people with vaginas fails

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

See ... this kind of demagougery pisses me off. I am anti-abortion and I don't want to kill anyone, part of my foundation on being anti-abortion to begin with is that it's wrong to take a life (and yes, that goes for capital punishment too, which I am vehemently against).

I don't hate, love or form an opinion on anyone based on their views on abortion, unless they're wacko on one side or another. Fact is, I very rarely think about abortion at all unless someone brings it up. I think its place in our public discourse is way out of proportion to its actual importance to the population at large.

But that doesn't stop both "sides" from the worst kind of demagougery in the race to paint the other in the worst possible light. It's bullshit.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Agreed, Bubbler. We should have more people like you who see the nuance in issues rather than those who call for attempting to kill women who seek abortions or calling Chris Christie a coward. Discussions would move along much more quickly if not for this demagoguing. When they don't, people like you get swept up in the mix and labeled incorrectly.

3. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

Home run.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with Bubbler's words. But, I also don't think it's demagoguery to label Chris Christie a political coward.

It's also hysterical to me that you want to act like a voice of reason, when you're one of the biggest demagogues on the board.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

He's not even top 25 in biggest demagogues.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

:D

7. old_tony

If only we were for the killing of innocents to cover up irresponsibility we'd be so much cooler, right?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't try to act like a voice of reason. I point out hypocrisy. Reason has nothing to do with it.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

TSP isn't the problem here. He's a good dude.

It's the idea, and the discourse, or lack thereof, that permeates our culture that if you're for something, you should automatically at gun's drawn against the other side.

It puts people in positions that are more extreme than they probably truly are in real life.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

There are apparently people under the assumption that there are tons of women having late-term abortions and doing it for frivolous reasons.

You people are fucking stupid.

I really can't say anything else.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Has the conversation even touched on late-term abortions?

And, while it would be stupid to say all -- or even some large percentage of -- abortions are done for "frivolous" issues, it would be just as dumb to ignore the fact that some small percentage of women do use abortion as birth control.

12. old_tony

The great majority of abortions are for frivolous reasons. The No. 1 being "I don't want a baby even though I irresponsibly did exactly what causes babies without taking precautions."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.