1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another concert thread: Which band/singer/act have you seen the most times?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 1, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Starman, you saw the Beatles? Holy fuck. When/where? That's fucking awesome.

My Beatle-related concerts: Paul once, Ringo (and the All-Starrs) once, Julian Lennon once -- he played a bang-on cover of "Stand By Me" that still gives me chills. Sean Lennon showed up to play at a different show once. And Zach Starkey filled in with his dad on that All-Starr show.

As for this thread:

Live -- 8 times (hi Gutter :D)
    Bush -- 3 times
    No Doubt -- 3 times
    Aerosmith -- 3 times
    REM -- 2.5 times (Stipe and Mills showed up at the Classic Center in Athens while I was at some other show, and started jamming. Total shock. One of the great concert memories of my life.)
    DMB -- 2 times
    Garbage -- 2 times
    Cowboy Mouth -- 2 times
    Drivin' N' Cryin -- 2 times
    Jack Johnson -- 2 times

Stones, McCartney, Springsteen, Dylan, Stone Temple Pilots, Counting Crows, Wallflowers lead my list of 1 times apiece, although having been a loyal 99X Big Day Out and Music Midtown concert-goer for my HS and college years I've seen a ton of 1-show concerts.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Good call, Xan. I've seen RHPS more times than I've seen any one band in concert.

I've seen Tori Amos three times and Pearl Jam twice. That's as cool as I get.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wow.

Wish I had the time/money to do what a lot of you have done. Wouldn't have minded following a great band on tour once just for the hell of it, as I'm sure some have.

These music threads are getting more interesting. What's next, we should veer into "scary" and ask about concert bootlegs owned?

Metallica - seven times
    Pantera - five times
    Slayer - three times
    Anthrax - three times, once with John Bush, twice with Joey Belladonna
    Judas Priest - three times, twice with Rob Halford
    White/Rob Zombie - three times, all as an opening act
    Motorhead - twice as an opener
    Megadeth - two times
    Ozzy Osbourne - twice (plus once with Black Sabbath)
    Eagles - twice
    Guns 'n' Roses twice, sort of: once on Metallica/Guns tour (blew Metallica off the stage, and Metallica brought it that night) and once during last year's "Axl and a bunch of schleps" tour, where they were excellent as well.

Other notables: The Police (this year), REM (Monster Tour), David Bowie (Polyphonic Spree opened!!!), Spice Girls, Iron Maiden, once each.

4. The band's I've seen the most are the bands I've toured with: Supersuckers, Zeke, Last Rites, and the Toadies. I saw Skrew many times...never toured with them but I did work on a couple of their albums.
    Other acts I've seen dozens of times due to their being local or regional acts: Robert Earl Keen, Willie Nelson, Reverend Horton Heat, Baboon, Funland, Pantera, Deadhorse, Skatenigs, Blotallica/Crack Sabbath, and Mudhoney.

Acts I've seen more than five times (besides the aforementioned):
    Slayer--20+ times
    Melvins
    Jesus Lizard
    The Cramps
    The Ramones--10-15 times
    AC/DC
    Guided by Voices
    Ministry
    Skinny Puppy
    White Zombie
    Turbonegro--Saw them do three shows in two days once
    Man or Astroman?
    Sepultura
    Napalm Death
    Motorhead

Groups I've seen fewer than five times that add to my "hipster doofus" credibility:
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Brainiac
    John Zorn
    Echo & the Bunnymen [before Pete Defreitas died]
    Celtic Frost
    Enslaved
    Big Star (Alex and Jody with Ken and Jon from The Posies)
    The Replacements

That's all I can think of right now.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Damn, did you go to the Warped Tour every year?

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Let's not go there as it's too scary how many I own.

7. 1,415 times, garage band I played in during hs. ;D

Runner-up, Fleetwood Mac 5 times.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I don't know if I'm scary territory, but I have quite a few. What is scary?

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't keep count, but I know I've seen Springsteen at least a dozen times.

Elvis Costello, maybe half that.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Haven't counted, but I'd venture a guess it's 300-400 CDs worth (keeping in mind that its 2-3 CDs per show), plus several dozen concerts on DVD as well. 97-99 percent of it is Springsteen.
    I plan on getting rid of the couple of hundred cassettes and 50 or so VHS tapes by the end of the year.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I bow in your direction. Bought a Beatles T-shirt at the city market in New Orleans. It was the poster of their 1964 show in New Orleans. Guy said it was cool I saw the Beatles. Uh, I was 18 months old Einstein!

But to answer the questions ... Clapton, Elton John, Neil Young and Ringo about six or seven times apiece. I "saw" Iron Maiden about five times but every time only the final song. They were always the opening act and we always skipped them.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Springsteen -- 8
    Bob Seger -- 3
    Allison Krauss -- 3
    Lots of others 1 time each

... and funky-mountain -- del mccoury band is great.

Draft saved Draft deleted