1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Coach goes douche on a reporter. Briles of Baylor yesterday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Most hometown papers (as Bryan is to A&M) designate one guy to write a sider on the opposing team every game. I'm sure that's what this guy did, and in a blowout, Griffin's the obvious Baylor angle. He obviously went into the Baylor locker room to get quotes for that story, not to pick a fight with Griffin over God knows what.

2. Just another example of a coach going batshit over an innocuous question. When did college coaches become such control freaks? Oh yeah, since ever.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Love it when the reporter challenges the coach on it, and the "tough guy" coach comes with nothing. Hey moron, if nothing's wrong with the question, then let the kid answer it. If you do have a problem with the question, then explain yourself.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Do most BCS-league head coaches hang around during player interviews? When I was in school and dealt with post football scrums, the coach usually left as soon as his presser was done.

5. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

Before we all crucify Briles -- a guy other posters have said is usually good to deal with -- is it possible he just heard the question wrong? It's not like he was standing next to the scrum.

If that's the case, his actions aren't completely excusable, but I think there's a big difference between the overbearing coach many of you are making him out to be and someone just trying to protect his player from talking about a touchy rivalry.

6. DoctorFace

DoctorFace New Member

Follow-up question:

"Hey coach, is 688 yards of offense surrendered more of an indictment of your coaching or of your recruiting?"

7. Since locker rooms were closed and selected players were brought to interview areas, it has made it easier for overbearing coaches and overbearing SIDs to edit questions. Not all coaches or SIDs engage in this practice, however. Just the jerks. And if Briles didn't hear the question right, how does that excuse him? It's even more of an indictment, because he overreacted to -- nothing.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Agree completely. And I have a lot of respect for Briles. Like I said earlier he's always been a straight up guy with the media. But his actions here were just plain wrong.

As for the "do coaches stick around" question. I don't think that's what happened here. From the few times I've covered Baylor, players have addressed the media before Briles. The reporter in this incident said the staff had just said final question for Griffin, so Briles was probably next to interview, and had just come out a couple seconds before the question. I could be wrong.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

The video makes it seem like the Baylor coach did not even hear the question. Rather, he saw that the reporter who asked the question was from a paper that covers A and M.

"Is that an A and M question?," Briles asked, before telling Griffin he does not have to answer the question.

I think Briles just assumed that the reporter covering A & M was asking a question about A & M, and given the bad blood between the two schools Briles nixed it. I bet Briles did not even hear the question. Frankly, it was a good question, and would have provided some good color to a reporter covering either side.

Not that it excuses Briles. I don't care how professional he usually is. Instances like this illustrate the hypocrisy of college coaches, treating legal adults like kids only when it benefits them.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Nothing wrong at all with the question. I'm really disappointed in Briles. Totally legit question.

Draft saved Draft deleted