1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Coach goes douche on a reporter. Briles of Baylor yesterday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Oct 16, 2011.

1. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

One of my readers sent this to me. Thought you all would find this interestng. A writer from the Bryan College Station paper asked a question of Griffin III.

Briles jumps in. Video of that jerk. Why didn't the rest of the media just go?

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/10/16/art-briles-tells-robert-griffin-not-to-answer-an-am-question/

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, yea, what awful behavior.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Art Briles = dick

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's "going douche?" And where should the rest of the media have "just gone?"

I don't understand this post.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Briles is a pretty good guy. Any dealing I've had with him was professional. I'm inclined to submit this episode to the "BFD" file.

6. That was pretty high school.

Never dealt with Briles, but that's generally not the way a professional behaves.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I understand your point, pompano. I interpreted the OP equating this to Spurrier-Morris. If I'm wrong, so be it.

Haven't most of us been involved in herds when something similar to this happened? I have more times than I can remember.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, then "the pack" should have stood up to said coaches.

Because every time you don't, the readership takes it for granted that the coach was in the right. See Spurrier, Steve.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It appears on the video that they did. But once Briles sent Griffin back to the locker room, what could they really do?

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think Spurrier-Morris was way more understandable than this. The guy asked a question. It wasn't a loaded question. It was a question that only Griffin and Sherman could answer. It was a simple question that had no real meaning. Likely, the answer would have been, "Coach Sherman just told me that he thought we were a tough team and I was a tough player, and I thanked him for that."

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the answer was going to be this:
    "Coach Sherman told me that he was right when he said I couldn't win a Heisman at Baylor, especially under a coach like Coach Briles, who can't spell defense. And he's right."

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

That seemed extremely out of character for Briles. Like most coaches, he's always a bit more straightforward after a loss, but is usually still forthcoming and not one to shy away from questions. And, I'm not saying he hasn't, but I've never seen him prevent a player from answering questions, especially not a man that Baylor is trying to push for Heisman. You don't want to hurt the player's chance because the coach has an attitude.
    I know the guy who asked the question very well, and he's a pro. One of the nicest guys ever in this business, and not one to ever to hang a player/coach, etc.
    In fact, the sider he wrote on the game, was an article praising Griffin's work that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted