1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another chink in the armor at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Feb 16, 2018.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've told this story before, but years ago in a newscast we ran some feel-good story involving a car dealership. We came out of that story tossing to the sports segment.

News anchor: That's a great thing they're doing.
    Sports anchor: Eh, all car dealers are sleazy.

The General Manager suspended the sports guy for two weeks. When he returned, he had to hand-write letters of apology to every car dealer who had done business with the station.

When the last letter was mailed out, he got fired.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That was intentional, right?

franticscribe likes this.
  3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

We had a story set to run several years ago about how a local fast-food joint was erroneously charging extra sales tax (we were a suburb, the state sales tax was 5% at the time, but the large metro city in the area assessed an extra 1% to pay for a long-since-blown-up stadium, and the restaurant charged the larger rate despite not being in the city). The publisher spiked the story because he was afraid it would make the new business angry and not want to advertise. Then, every time for the next week he walked through the newsroom and the reporter was there, he would make snarky comments about "those extra three cents." To my knowledge, that restaurant has NEVER bought an ad in the newspaper.

What has been alarming is that, in the area I work, one minor league team gets a disproportionately large amount of coverage in the major metro compared to other minor league teams (whose sports have been significantly more established in the market and have established fan bases), and the paper carries its water when it lobbies the legislature for a stadium deal, et al. Turns out said team spends a small fortune in advertising with the newspaper. The other teams don't. It's clearly pay-for-play.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He deserved it.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sportscaster should have gotten his money's worth, picked out the car dealer he hated the most, and said the man has been having sex with teenagers for 10 years.

If you're going to get fired for saying something, don't go half-assed.

Tweener likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

They should just scrap the website altogether and make the website what it's slowly turning into....Stephen A. talks for two minutes about something.

But they should just let him run wild with it.

"Stephen A. Thinks Pepperidge Farm Cookies Are the Greatest And Chips Ahoy Should Apologize"
    "Stephen A. Reads His Grocery List"
    "Stephen A. Stuffs Max Kellerman in a Trunk and Won't Let Him Out Until He Swears Fealty"

7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Pathetic. A newsroom that compromises its integrity doesn't deserve to last, IMO.

I may have told this story before, but years ago one of our advertisers threatened to pull advertising and sue the paper I worked for because I had written something unflattering but true about the advertiser's daughter. It wasn't a vindictive hit piece, it was merely a mention of something she did within a larger story.

After seeing that I had my facts straight, my executive editor essentially told the advertiser to piss off. To no one's surprise, the advertiser backed down, never sued and never pulled advertising.

Advertising in the in the paper doesn't give anyone a right to direct coverage.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Have you had a Chips Ahoy lately? They should apologize!

Hermes likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, here we go again.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shoot, everyone knows Capt. Luck fought for the Northerners.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Especially after they moved from a border state to fucking Indiana, Indiana...

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Best auto commercial ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted