1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another chink in the armor at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Feb 16, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Source: ESPN.com Altered A Headline And Buried Stories To Placate Advertisers

https://deadspin.com/source-espn-com-altered-a-headline-and-buried-stories-1823014722

I wrote a column about a decade ago that poked fun at Coors Light as watered down crap that was perfect for a drinking game. They were a sponsor of the site I was writing for and they complained, so the entire column was expunged from the site. Then the fuckers went to another site I wrote for and tried to get me fired -- just for saying their product is distilled rain water. That seemed a bit extreme to me. To my editor, too, who told them in not uncertain terms to fuck off.

This ESPN story bashed Wendy's in a headline and in a tweet. Wendy's complained and the headline was changed and the tweet was erased. You don't bite the hand that feeds you, even if it's feeding you crap like Wendy's and Coors Light.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You should get over it.

studthug12 and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. CD Boogie

You don't bite the hand that feeds you, even if it's feeding you crap like Wendy's and Coors Light.

Yeah, I'm really stewing over it...:rolleyes:

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe the Coors rep was black and that explains everything.

5. TheSportsPredictor

Not that. Stop being offended by ESPN changing headlines.

6. CD Boogie

Where was I registering offense?
    Nope, he was a stupid honkey just like you.

7. TheSportsPredictor

The part where you compared it to a bunch of people you called "fuckers".

8. CD Boogie

It wasn't ESPN. The fuckers were the people from Coors. They tried to get me fired from a different site that also carried its advertising. Both editors at both sites told them to get lost, but the editor at site that ran the column in question did pull it down completely. He could have simply taken out mention of Coors or worked around it, instead he just acceded to their wishes and yanked it.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I agree that it's a bad headline and tweet. It would be just as bad if you said an athlete's improvement was switching to Wendy's wraps instead of their burgers in a headline.

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Where are you practicing this high end journalism? A high school paper?

11. CD Boogie

It was The Boca Breeze. Perhaps you’ve heard of it?

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Coors is piss water. Full stop. Fire me. I dare you.

Draft saved Draft deleted