1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

another car buying quest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, May 10, 2010.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i've decided i need some new wheels but can't decide between a ford f-150 truck (extended cab or super crew) and a chrysler 300c. i know, it's a weird final 2. any opinions?

2. lono

lono Active Member

An F-150 will still be running 15 years after the Chrysler has gone to the junkyard.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Or, you can find the nicest used car you can afford, hope it runs decent and make fun of your asshole friends who dumped 30K on a Ford Focus Hybrid.

Go with whatever is cheapest.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Two good choices. Probably depends on the type of usage. But if I were a Texan, I'd be going with the F-150...

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

F-150 reliability: Better to much better than average.

Chrysler 300 reliability: Worse than average. Also received one of the worst "value" ratings for its category by Consumer Reports.

Debate always begins (and usually ends) with this comparison for me.

To me, any car that does not give you at least 200,000 relatively trouble-free miles is not worth buying.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

bte, are you sure the "value" ratings weren't for the v6 version of the 300? i've seen some negative info about those but the 300c with a v8 seems to fare better.

and for clarity's sake, i'm looking at 2006-2008 models, which in the dfw area look to be going for 18k-22k for the f-150 and 20k-25k for the 300c.

my last 2 vehicles were both ford explorers and didn't have any major complaints. drove a chevy truck before that.

another thing driving my choices is that ford didn't take bailout money while gm and chrysler did. and chrysler seems to be trying to get out of their repayment obligations. but then again, since i'm buying a used vehicle, i'm doing businesses with individual dealers, not the corporate assholes. i'm also not worried about financing because i'm paying cash and trading in my dad's car.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In Texas, I would go with the F 150, no question.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

F-150, without question. The 300c is cool to look at and has that honking Hemi motor, but for if you're towing or hauling anything and need a vehicle that's good for 150K miles or more, you can't go wrong with Built Ford Tough. A couple of my friends have over 240K on their F-150s and those things are still going strong.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

F150 costs a lot to keep fueled for any everyday vehicle.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Does he know about this?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So does a Chrysler 300.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is there a big price difference?

If not, I'm not sure I'd want to be the guy who disappoints Mike Rowe.

Draft saved Draft deleted