1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another blow for CBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double J, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah, I wouldn't lay all the blame at Nancy Lee's feet, though. The CCA board, and especially Dave Parkes, are mightily responsible for the crap that went on with CBC and that gawdawful Country Canada deal.
    I also fear that curling has a bigger vision of itself than it is. Some of its people and athletes are starting to act like we should be grateful we have them to cover. They seem to have themselves convinced they're one of the big fish now.
    And they're not.

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

That is a kick in the ass for CBC, but coverage is better on TSN anyway. You follow it like an evolving story all week. Then you switch to CBC and they blow in the day before, pretend they've been there all week and research is half ass.
    I'm not wild about Ray Turnbull, but Rauter and Linda Moore are solid.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Well depends. Sometimes Harris and McCusker were playing, so they kinda were there all week. Both solid with their curling knowledge and Harris was actually quite a good analyst.
    But you're right. Rauter and Moore are good. Both Turnbull and Whitman I can do without.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I feel sorry for Don Whitman. He's a good guy and gawdknows just about the only guy who can range from curling to the NHL/CFL/Olympics in one bound. His call in Piestany was sorta like "oh, the humanity" call of the Hindenburg crash.

YHS, etc

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, that and a little more hocky. we already don't get enough sports that suck.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh god yes, those guys and alan thicke rule. can't get enough of 'em, really.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As long as MuchMusic doesn't get f'd with, I could give a shit.

Oh wait ....

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Don is a great guy. Have talked to him several times. But as we've discussed in another thread, the CBC needs to get younger to attract the younger demographics.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Does anyone know if there's a way to ignore a poster so I don't have to read this idiot's moronic shots at Canadians?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Flash, you're giving him way too much credit if you honestly consider those to be "shots."

This guy is far too feeble for anything he says to even be taken seriously. If his attempts at shots were at least humourous or original, I might be persuaded to change my opinion that he's about as significant and worthy of respect as pocket lint.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god you wax poetic double j. yet another fine example of what it takes to write for the media in the land of the three-day summer.

really, though, dude, you really do like alan thicke and the theme from the titantic, don't you?

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Gotta admit it, the CBC has been off my radar screen for so many years, it's scary. Not since the days of the Crazy Canucks on the ski slopes, when they had extensive coverage of the World Cup, have I regularly flipped over to see what's on there.

And some of my taxes go towards that thing.

Pretty much the only hockey they show is the Maple Laffs, which they feel seem to matter to the entire country as a whole, which they don't. And even then, the PBP guys on hockey are sub-par. So since we have an option around our parts to watch Les Canadiens in another language, as described by announcers who call every single game and know their stuff, we do.

So you get into the habit, and that persists even during the playoffs.

Tune(d) in during the Olympics, as part of a tasty buffet of solid Olympic viewing options. And for the first-period intermissions, to see what Don Cherry is wearing. That's it. They've got nothing I want. That's astonishing, the way I see it.

I guess the 132 people in the country who don't have cable or a dish are raptly attentive, though. :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted