1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

another 'bloggers aren't journalists' column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Nov 3, 2007.

1. [quote author=Chris McCosky]
    They will write something like, "I am hearing the Pistons are going to start Antonio McDyess this year." Well, wonder where you "heard" that. It was reported in the darn newspaper. Yet, the same blogger will go out of their way to ridicule the source they stole from.
    [/quote]

I follow each and every one of the Piston blogs, and I don't recall them ever coming close to writing anything like that; regardless of the player.

That's just a lame stereotype gone mad.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

He might have a point, but if he's the journalism world's best example, we're in trouble. That was not well done.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

BLOGS! [/Almost_Famous]

4. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

I think the reporter here doesn't care for bloggers reporting in Detroit area, which is lame. His two problems are with Antonio Dice and Zumaya. Is he afraid of being scooped? Also, can a reporter file a better complaint than the antiquated "basement" sterotype. I've read published work from Will Leitch of Deadspin, among others, who writes 10 times better than this guy. Many popular blogs feature compentent professionals who prefer to write from home and without deadlines or whatever. He also mentions that he is a trained professional, which is true. But who's to say that a English major can't become a sports reporter...or a Chem major...if you can report/write well than aren't you're on the right track anyway?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Um, Mr. Zumaya, Joe Smith from the Podunk Times. Did you hurt yourself:
    --Falling off your dirt bike?
    --Boffing your nanny?
    --Smuggling illegal drugs?
    --Carrying out a hit on a witness?
    --While indulging in autoerotic strangulation?
    --While trying to mate with a cow?"

Thanks for making it clear what the new standards of journalism should be.

And early, given that best-selling authors have to rewrite their books 5-6 times, I think a little editing doesn't hurt a writer. But hell, absolution for a error is as close as wiping the page off the site.

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I would have been more impressed if he cited a specific blogger and tore him/her/it down point by point, but that would have probably just given the culprit more visibility. But sometimes you've just got to swat the dog across the nose with that rolled-up newspaper.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Blogs rule the world. Trust me.
    Trust me.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I follow each and every one of the Piston blogs, and I don't recall them ever coming close to writing anything like that; regardless of the player.

That's just a lame stereotype gone mad.
    [/quote]
    Stereotypes exist for a reason.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There's only one rumor going around that the guy is talking about. That rumor can be addressed by asking Tigers officials if there is any truth to it.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bullshit. You don't address "rumors going around," not unless there's a credible source. And sorry, a bunch of Internet chatter is almost always not that credible source.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And of course, you'll get nothing but a straight, factual answer from the Ilitch Ministry of Information.

::) :D

Bottom line, who really cares -- no matter how it happened, Zumaya's shoulder is fucked up.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The only reason to root for the end of newspapers is to see what these remoras would write about without previously mined - and published - facts.

Bloggers are like these hi-hop guys who get big by stealing some 1980s song.

Draft saved Draft deleted