1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another black eye for the newspaper industry that the end is coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 8, 2007.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

She makes a good point though. And you could argue that department stores and newspapers have had somewhat similar experiences.

It used to be that stores had to buy their ads in newspapers to get the word out; now, obviously, that is no longer true.

It also used to be true that whenever someone wanted to go shopping, they'd head to one of the big department stores, which radically changed the way people shopped in small mom and pop shops just in the way people used to get fresh food to cook every day started one-stop shopping at supermarkets.

In both cases now, both newspaper advertisers and shopping consumers have so many more options. Specialized options that get you directly to the place you need to be, whether it's targeted readers or clothes buyers.

And so the industries have to adapt and get their customers another way.

it astounds me that a store like Macy's – with all the amalgamated newspaper chains out there – has each store organize its ads with each local paper. That is such a waste of manpower on both ends, it boggles the mind.

That the newspaper chains wouldn't somehow have concocted a plan to make it easier for Macy's to buy ads before this goes to the mentality that still prevails: you have to come to us, because we're your only option.

You'd think they'd actually sell more ads in more newspapers if Macy's as a whole entity only had to speak to one person at the newspaper chain. You'd think.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I don't think it is a mixed metaphor as much as pure incoherence.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are you trying to say turning a 10-20 percent profit is okay!?! Obviously you are not in corporate management.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

pot, kettle

5. boots

boots New Member

ANOTHER SMART-ASSED, TROLL-LIKE REMARK THAT COULD BE SENT IN A PM. GROW UP SIMON. I SUSPECT THE NEXT TROLL ON THE LINE WILL BE YOUR GANG-BANG PARTNER, THE GOOD DOCTOR. IF YOU ANOTHERS LIKE YOU, HANK ETC. CAN'T STAY ON THE TOPIC, PLEASE DO US ALL A FAVOR AND NOT POST.
    thanks
    boots

6. boots

boots New Member

WHATEVER zeke. You've got random thoughts for your childish antics. Not this thread. OK?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My childish antics will continue to appear wherever I wish to display them.

Assclown.

8. Hank_Scorpio

I think we need a running thread on how many threads boots creates and then gets locked.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is Boots on or off his medication?

Seems a little antsy today.

10. Hank_Scorpio

You can tell a difference from any other day?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. He seems to be showing his ass.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

GO FUCK YOURSELF IN THE ASS WITH A FUNGO WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF TENDERLY WARMED KY JELLY.

Oh, and Happy Nick Punto Day!

(He does seem to have a bit of the red ass, today.)

Draft saved Draft deleted