1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another black eye for the newspaper industry that the end is coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 8, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Trimming the fat is one thing. Turning a filet mignon into chopped steak is another idea. That's what's happening. I had a discussion with a few peers two days ago and we actually came to the conclusion that by the end of the year, it wouldn't surprise us if a major daily folded.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm with you Riddick. I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it sound.

I still think it's more about shareholders and management making more and more money than it is about losing readers, advertisers and circulation.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think "wah, wah, wah" covered this sentiment just as well, and with fewer words. ;)

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No major daily paper will fold anytime soon. If businesses want to sink more money into the Web, then papers can offer that. It's not like businesses turning to the Web excludes newspapers.

5. boots

boots New Member

Oz, tell that to the people who work for Philadelphia Daily News or the New York Daily News or the New York Post. The climate at those shops isn't the greatest these days.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So, you're saying they're taking it in the ass?

7. boots

boots New Member

This industry is taking it in the ass without the benefit of warmed KY jelly.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bad climate doesn't translate into folding. I've worked at several places with bad climates. You scale back travel budgets. You shift money from this to that. You change how you do things. And of course, you sell businesses on online ads, if they want to hit the Web.

9. boots

boots New Member

I see where you are coming from. Like I said, we were just talking about things and that topic came up. Out of the seven people in the conversation, four thought it was a distinct possibility.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The publisher would have to be sharing a bed with McDonald to know this much about her reading habits. And then he'd have to pull some strings with a carrier and/or the pressroom to have those sections wrapped around the friggin' front page (which of course sucks at the NYT; infact I'd like the movie times wrapped around the outside of my copy, please).

I dunno...I like hearing of all good ideas to improve newspapers from anyone, advertisers or otherwise. But I get tired of the senior VPs and other high-up schmoes immediately lapping up everything like a dog in his water dish on a 95-degree day without any thought or examination of what said ideas may do in the long run.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

If we could understand the topic based on your thread title, maybe we'd stay on it.

Have a nice Fete de la Victoire Day!

12. boots

boots New Member

IT'S NOT SO DAMN HARD. SHE, LIKE YOU, HAVE BEEN TROLLING FOR TOO LONG. STAY ON THE DAMN SUBJECT AND KEEP YOUR SIMPLE REMARKS TO THE PM.
    thanks
    boots

Draft saved Draft deleted