1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by joe_schmoe, May 25, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Bobcat, you're wrong about the third strike thing. I don't have my rule book in front of me to cite the specific NFHS rule, but he's not out until:

1. He enters a deadball area (eg the dugout)

2. All infielders have left the field.

So he can almost make it to the dugout, and then decide to run. Now, you're going to get into running out of the running lane problems here, but that's the rule

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

This is what I hate about the differences in high school rules. I end up asking questions on routine plays that I don't ask when watching a college or MLB game.

I used to love area American Legion games in the summer when we had it here because they used American League rules, so there weren't any of those dumbass automatic appeal things that left everyone wondering what the fuck happened.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

NFHS got rid of the automatic appeal, thank goodness.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

My friend said they scored it like the majority here Sac, e9, RBI.
    It's just something I don't think I'd ever seen or heard of before.
    Not sure if the high school adds the exception that MLB does about the runner refusing to touch first, and again, and again no one was sure if he ever did make it or not.

I'm ordering a new High school stat manual and case book now, since I still can't find mine.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There's nothing in the case book covering this scenario.

However, it would, by rule, have to be sac fly, e9. The error for prolonging the at bat, and the sac for advancing the runner on a fly ball that caused the batter to be out, or would have been out if no error.

NFHS 9-3-4, 9-5-5

6. apeman33

Hell, I didn't know that. That will make it easier. Some of the softball rules are still effed up, though.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There is nothing worse than the DP/Flex rule. I still don't understand it completely, and neither do most coaches. In fact, most don't even use it.

8. apeman33

This. I've seen a couple of different things that explain how it should be used and I still don't have it down (particularly when it comes to subbing for either the DP or the flex). And I guess the coach has to remember to put "DP" and not "DH" because there is a difference and the DH in softball is the same as the DH in baseball (as one umpire told me).

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That is correct... hates me some softball... in fact, I think next season, I'm not even going to call it, cause it sucks so bad here.... stick to volleyball and football.

Draft saved Draft deleted