1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Another) AP byline strike?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 17, 2011.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

As beanpole explained, this tactic is mostly an in-house thing. It probably has little to do with whether readers, newspaper clients of AP, care about the bylines.

MC's post about how only journalists -- in this case, that would be AP journalists and gild people -- care about bylines also is applicable.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree for the most part. Byline strikes at AP serve nominal value. The company listens (to a certain extent) when their very top writers (like a Linda Deutsch in LA) support Guild activities because it emboldens the rest of the bargaining unit and some member newspapers actually want to use bylines, especially for columns and major beats (White House, Supreme Court, etc.).

I chaired two AP bargaining committees for what was then the Wire Service Guild in the late '80s and early '90s. Support from "star" writers is relatively big for the union. The most important thing we did in 1990 was recruit then Supreme Court writer Dick Carelli, since retired but one of the AP's most respected writers during that era, into joining the bargaining committee. It's different for the company negotiators when they have to look their best employees in the eye across the table and explain why they're fucking with staffers' livelihoods.

That said, I'm not sure any of this will make much difference this time around. AP is already a shell of its former self and in a downward spiral.

(The world-wide strike could never happen because the Guild only covers domestic employees and the AP has hardly any international staff at this point.)

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He's got to do something to earn his big paycheck.

Draft saved Draft deleted