1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Another) AP byline strike?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

How many newspapers actually use AP bylines anyway?

2. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

We only use AP bylines if it is a story from our state bureau. Anything on the national or world news side has the byline cut out. And then if our state stories are too long the byline is the first to go.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We use bylines on gamers or feature/enterprise pieces, but I find that, with my news hole, coverage of the NBA is getting limited to the capsules, spring training news goes into a notebook and general interest stories going into a roundup on the agate page, just isn't a whole lot of room for bylines.

Also curious what is considered a "fair contract."

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Whatever it is, it isn't to be found in journalism.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Umm, they have jobs. That's pretty fair.

Seriously, are they not looking around?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many newspaper jobs pay better then the AP? Not many, I bet.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If anything, AP staffers should have leverage. Their product is more visible now with papers cutting deep.

Have you read some of AP's stringer copy? It can be atrocious.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I opened one NewsNow file last week on a spring training game that had three errors in a five paragraph story! Typos happen, but these were factual errors. I checked the AP copy against an account from our secondary wire, then called New York to complain. They had writethrus on the wire within minutes. Still ...

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

One thing that bothers me: Why is a writer such as Barry Wilner's byline followed by "AP Football Writer" instead of "Associated Press"?

Does any media organization use "AP [Insert Sport Here] Writer" instead of "Associated Press" below an AP byline?

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Stitch: I phrased that poorly.

What I meant was "aren't they looking around at how bad the state of the print indutry is."

They should be glad they have jobs.

A lot of folks don't.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Why does that bother you?

It's their official title/job description, and I think to the reader it extends more validity to the person.

I have seen papers that use various titles like that.

And besides, AP style says to leave 'em. ;)

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

With us, all sports copy is "Associated Press Sports Writer," regardless of if they're a national/specialized writer (Newberry, Armour, etc.) or a non sports writer (George Henry, Paul Elias, etc.).

Draft saved Draft deleted