1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another ACLU story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Aug 3, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If someone is barring a fetus from kicking in the womb, I guess that's a First Amendment freedom of expression case. Otherwise, the ACLU has no duty to get involved in an abortion case. For that matter, it's a private organization that can advocate whatever the hell it wants. Busting on the ACLU for not advocating something? To be consistent, bust on the NRA for not helping a school newspaper that's being censored.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If you have a right to life, why doesn't a viable yet unborn child. And unfettered expression is not guaranteed by the Constitution either. Obscenity is not protected, libel and slander are not protected and fighting words are not protected. There are also time, place and manner restrictions that can be applied to speech. The FCC censors speech all the time.

3. heyabbott

That is first post on this thread that I didn't write that makes sense. The ACLU is a private group which has an agenda that is governed by its members. It is a lobby and advocacy group, no better nor worse than the NRA and the Drug Industry. Except that it bullies and extorts its way into every aspect of American public life.

4. dooley_womack1

The viewpoint of when life begins is not unanimous. The prevailing law of the land is that with some limitations, a woman has a choice not to let a fetus go to full term.

Hmmm.....ACLU fights for freedom of expression and against the imposition of religion. NRA fights for unfettered death causers. The drug industry fights for its economic interests. Yup, equality of nobility there.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

OK, great argument. I see where you are coming from on that. What I don't see is how you make the leap from that to the originally cited article to the ACLU being the bane of our society. The Supreme Court made the ruling on abortion.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

'Yab, what the ACLU does is file suit in cases of Constitutional conflict. It doesn't bully or extort. What seems to chap your ass is not that the ACLU files suit - but that they mostly win once they do so. Your beef is more truly with the courts, not the plaintiffs.

7. heyabbott

They all share the same nobility, or lack thereof, the ability to impose their will on others.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The ACLU can't "impose their will." They actually have to win in court, whereas lobbyists just have to pay off lawmakers.

9. dooley_womack1

Abbott, let us know when you're returning to our planet.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For flat-out wrongness, this post might take the prize.

11. dooley_womack1

OK, instead of backing away from the madman, I'll go down his wormhole. This is the logic in play: All advocacy groups have the same nobility. Ergo, ACLU=NRA=drug industry=NAMBLA=Jewish Congress=Democratic Party=Republican Party=PTA....and so on.

Draft saved Draft deleted