1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another ACLU story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Yes, because protecting the Bill of Rights = Protecting criminals.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Forget the ACLU, what kind of wonderful Christian is the former mayor who put the sign up to begin with? Seems she and her hubby swndled the town.

Former Mayor Callie Mobley, who took office in the early 1980s, said she immediately pushed for the signs. The City Council approved them, and the city paid maybe $250, $350 tops for each, Mobley said. The reason for the signs was simple.

"I believe in one God, one Baptism, and one Lord," she said.

And never once did she hear any objections to the signs.

"And they had all the opportunity in the world to complain, but all I got was compliments, Mobley said. "And I mean I got compliments. Compliments, compliments, compliments."

In March 2000, Mobley pleaded guilty of income tax evasion during her federal corruption trial, where she and her husband stood accused of stealing $140,000 from the town

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course it is definitive. Read the actual words. It qualifies the right to bear arms as a necessity of a well-regulated militia. At the time the Constitution was written, the states were afraid of a weak Federal government that wouldn't be able to protect the 13 states, which each had their own identity, to the point that they were almost like 13 separate countries. The point of the second amendment was that if we were invaded they wanted to be able to form militias to protect themselves. 1) No one ever intended it to mean every yahoo should be walking around armed, and 2) No one anticipated the kinds of sophisticated weaponry we have today.

What rationale can you give for a right for every idiot to arm himself to the gills being included in the Bill of Rights? Do you think they were sitting around discussing individual liberties and making checklists that included things like, "Freedom to practice religion, freedom to speak against the government, freedom against the government raiding your home, etc." and then someone piped in and said, "Hey, make sure we can all walk around with semiautomatic weapons because if there was ever a basic liberty ... !"

Be real.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily disagree with your second paragraph.

As to the first paragraph, please cite me the Supreme Court case that stands for the proposition that the 2nd Amendment is limited to militias and doesn't govern an individual's right to own firearms, because anything less than that proves there is no definitive answer to the 2nd Amendment. And the ACLU, never one not to exploit and undefinitive Constitutional Right, steadfastly refuses this one. The ACLU will stand up for Nazis, NAMBLA, Communists, KKK, and Islamic Terrorists, but they will not stand beside American citizens in the 2nd Amendment cases and they will not advocate a postion that viable, yet unborn children, have a right to life.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

From the ACLU website:

The 1939 case U.S. v. Miller is the only modern case in which the Supreme Court has addressed this issue. A unanimous Court ruled that the Second Amendment must be interpreted as intending to guarantee the states' rights to maintain and train a militia. "In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches in length at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument," the Court said.

In subsequent years, the Court has refused to address the issue. It routinely denies cert. to almost all Second Amendment cases. In 1983, for example, it let stand a 7th Circuit decision upholding an ordinance in Morton Grove, Illinois, which banned possession of handguns within its borders. The case, Quilici v. Morton Grove 695 F.2d 261 (7th Cir. 1982), cert. denied 464 U.S. 863 (1983), is considered by many to be the most important modern gun control case.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Me three.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

When you say the ACLU stands up for Nazis, etc., you are making it sound as if they advocate the respective positions of those groups. They don't. They advocate the right of those groups to express their distorted beliefs (wait, Communists?). I do not believe that people should have the right to practice pedophilia, for example, and neither does the ACLU, but I do believe people should have the right to say they like it. It is important for all viewpoints to be out in the open, not underground, so the citizenry can dismiss the ones it doesn't like.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I find abbott's views on this thread perhaps more nutty and pernicious than his normal race-baiting tripe.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Agreed.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Spnited, the author of the piece left out the second part of Mobley's quote...
    "I believe in one God, one Baptism, and one Lord. I also believe in one bank account: mine."

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I understand and agree. But they do not extend that courtesy in favor of all advocacy groups, particularly 2nd Amendment and abortion.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Neither the right to life of an unborn child or unfettered access to weapons is guaranteed in the Consitution. Freedom of expression is.

Draft saved Draft deleted