1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another academic scandal; UNC is f-cked

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Jalen Rose thinks all of Duke's African-American players flunk "black experience."

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, I love you.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He's probably right.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Wow - this looks awful. Can the NCAA give the death penalty to the entire UNC athletic program? Is that possible?

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

It just wasn't a very good experience?

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I failed white experience.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's still hope for me ... I haven't taken the cumulative final yet!

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice ESPN's peculiar lack of coverage here? On the CBS and Sporting News sites you've got columnists screaming that it's biggest academic fraud case in sports history, meanwhile on ESPN the story appears wholly ignored, not even a tiny blurb on either their college football or basketball pages.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If Emmert (with the tacit endorsement of NCAA membership) blew up Penn State because the conversation was starting to turn toward how the culture of college football as a whole contributed to the protection of Sandusky, then he's going to have to blow up North Carolina, because the conversation is going to turn quickly to how the culture of college sports encourages academic fraud.

Heck, I bet anyone here who went to a big-time sports school (or even small-time) has stories about clear shenanigans going on when it comes to keeping athletes eligible. When I went to Indiana, there clearly were classes that were stacked with friendly professors who worked with the athletics department to ensure a good grade no matter.

One in particular I recall was Sports and the Afro-American Experience. Usually the class was made up of athletes, and sportswriters from the Indiana Daily Student (I was the latter, obviously). Now, the athletes actually showed up and nominally did work, but while some of us were turning in five-page, typed, double-spaced papers that were assigned, I saw jocks (including one who later got himself a Super Bowl ring) turn in two paragraphs (one of which was crossed out) written on notebook paper. Then I would see the professor dancing on the court before or after basketball games.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I love that Peppers' agent was also his "tutor" at UNC. Sounds like Mr. Carey latched his opportunistic paws on Peppers from a very early age.

Also suggests that Carey's interest in shutting up the reporter might be related to more than just protecting his client. I noticed from looking at the Peppers transcript that, other than the bogus AFAM classes, his best grades all came in extremely vaguely worded classes such as "Independent Studies", "Field Research", etc. I suspect Carey may know better than anyone how the "independent" work was done in those classes.

11. J Staley

J Staley Member

Yeah. Not to defend ESPN here, but this story doesn't seem like it has generated the stories nationally that it merits. Been in the background a lot.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It may be that people are inured to academic fraud, given the long history of it in college sports. Though this might be the worst fakery since Tates Locke invented a black fraternity to get black players to Clemson in the early 1970s.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1125293/4/index.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted