1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another academic scandal; UNC is f-cked

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And a Browns fan. WTF am I thinking?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That makes one of you.

I wish I could convey how condescending some Chapel Hill types have treated some others over the years. This is a steel-toed boot to those sorts' collective junk. Excuse me if I don't shed a tear.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Are they as condescending as Penn State fans were to opposing fans up until last November?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Might have been, AQB. But while I'm not aware of how some of the supporters in and near State College treated others, I'd like to think I have more than a smidgen of knowledge of how some Chapel Hill sorts treated their peers around North Carolina.

Key word: Some. I visited with a very good friend of mine who is a Chapel Hill graduate, and he felt Butch Davis should go the moment he heard first word that there might be trouble at his alma mater. Some - perhaps many - understand how this hurts them and don't run around donning blinders.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I hope the NCAA gives UNC's championships to Tyler Hamilton.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I always had a pet theory that the NCAA would never vacate one of their high-profile champions (USC football being something they don't sanction a championship in.) If Memphis makes free throws against KU, I think the NCAA doesn't hammer them over Derrick Rose. But this may leave them no choice.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The belief around the state that somehow this is comeuppance for UNC-Chapel Hill because of perceived smugness is ludicrous. I wouldn't wish this kind of mess on N.C. State, ECU or Wake Forest for the life of me. And I don't know any other Carolina grads who would. Hell, I wouldn't even wish it on Duke.

Then again, I've long been in the Bill Friday camp that would be perfectly happy if UNC were to withdraw from Division I and stop offering sports scholarships, a la University of Chicago in the 1940s. I said at the time, and still believe, that the hiring of Chancellor James Moeser from Nebraska, with his stated goal of bringing big-time football to Carolina, was the worst mistake the trustees have ever made. Even worse than their inexcusable tuition hikes.

That said, it has been an open secret on campus for at least a decade that the AFAM studies department (along with the COMM department) was a joke compared to the rest of the programs in Chapel Hill. So perhaps, for that reason alone - the failure to deal with and acknowledge the obvious problem -- there is deserved punishment. I've long believed that demanding the same type of academic rigor from the AFAM department as others on campus was too politically difficult for the administration, so they let it slide.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Obligatory "how much more punishment can Cleveland State take now that Caltech's been nailed red-handed" post. Keep going.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Make athletes employees of the university under a four-year contract with the option to take classes for free. Toss in books and room and board as well.

You do this, and all this bullshit goes away.

Just pay Peppers more than you would pay the third string punter. The NCAA can set the highest wage at $10K less than a professor.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-08-13/north-carolina-academic-scandal-mark-emmert-ncaa-penn-state

Matt Hayes at the Sporting News thoroughly takes not only UNC, but also Emmert and NCAA, to the woodshed in this piece, calling this "what will be the worst infractions case in the history of college sports."

And he's got a damn good point with the NCAA stuff. It really is startling how much they did NOT uncover during the Butch Davis investigation. Kinda have to wonder if that wasn't a case of what they selectively chose not to find. With what was going on simultaneously at Penn State perhaps they couldn't bear the thought of also taking down college basketball's premiere sacred cow program.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Roy's mixing something in his Coke tonight.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It's sounding more and more like Butch Davis may've been somewhat of a scapegoat in this. There appears to have been two big ole lies told from the start in this: 1) that it didn't start until Davis showed up in 07; and 2) that it was only a football and not a basketball issue. Lies that, oddly enough, the NCAA bought hook, line and sinker the first time around.

Draft saved Draft deleted