1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anonymous Sources: Can an intern be an "official"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Aug 1, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What do you think? Should they have used a better, more accurate description:

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

My knee-jerk reaction is "heck no," and that's my verdict here, especially because it deals with opinion more than insider facts.

The thing is, there are times when an intern is given responsibilities or privy to information that would make them a reliable anonymous source or even an official voice on the subject, which, like all others, requires vetting.

There was poor vetting here, according to the column.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Using "officials" or "authorities" is usually shorthand for "I don't really know who said this."

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No reason to even grant anonymity in return for opinion.

AP doesn't even allow it:

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Very true. In this case, though, the e-mails were not sent to reporters, but between government workers. The opinions were unsolicited and not meant to influence public perception. There's a grey area there. Had it been from an actual "official," I'd call it news.

Draft saved Draft deleted