1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anonymous online commenter sued for libel (updated)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Apr 26, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: Anonymous online commenter sued for libel

I say the same thing with every comments discussion -- charge 10 cents a pop and you'll solve a lot of problems. The lunatics won't want to be bothered, and those who still want to comment will PAY YOU MONEY. So there's an online revenue source for ya, dammit (yeah, maybe it's just dimes but so are some of your ads).

People who still write letters to the editor and mail 'em are paying postage. Different but they're still paying something.

I don't care about the conversation. That's what Twitter/FB is for. But on stories on a paper's website? That's the storefront. If you want a voice there, pay me.

2. Re: Anonymous online commenter sued for libel

To add...
    The most vociferous of the commenters are the hardcore nutjobs; folks with an axe to grind on the issue, a person involved or the writer.
    I have no problem engaging readers and commenters. But some are irrational.
    No matter how many times you explain yourself or the story - and sometimes the facts - they refuse to accept it. And when you stop trying, they gloat how they were right because you gave up. They shout you down. And it further empowers them.

You can't argue with crazy.

I also think the hardcores run off the normal commenters, what few are out there.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Stop charging people to read articles and start charging them to post.

Problems solved.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Eureka!

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like the way you think.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this to our online guru (a nice guy, but NOT a journalist), and he's said, "No way, if we start charging for or shutting out comments, our web site traffic would go to shit." Less traffic, less online ads, less revenue, etc ...

Which made me think, the whole future of my shop's operation lies with nutjobs hiding behind anonymous screen names bashing away at each other at 5 a.m. each day.

That's soooo encouraging ...

7. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

So ... none of the anonymous commenters here see the irony in lamenting anonymous comments? No one?

That said, I love this idea ...

Brilliant.

The guy who complained about it is way off. Commenters are a small fraction of your readership. The most-commented stories often aren't the most-read. The most-read stories are either the best or the most bizarre. The most-commented mention Obama somehow.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I believe any libelous comment that has appeared here should get the commenter sued, yes. Same as my outlook on newspapers or any other media outlet.

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Sort of like on SportsJournalists.com. ... Sorry, couldn't resist.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don't like how the article about the law suit leads with something about the first amendment. That doesn't do anything to help the perception among many of these dumbasses that they have a constitutional right to post whatever they want on a newspaper's web site.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If Web comments are what keep the lights on at my local paper, then let it fold. Because regardless of story topic every comments section reads like a transcript from a Klan rally.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

There is a certain value to knowing what the nutjobs are nutjobbing about. It does tend to wreak havoc on the forum, but I like the opportunity to look in that window.

And newspapers will do anything for page clicks now, won't they?

Draft saved Draft deleted