1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

annual thanksgiving thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yep (after volunteering at the soup kitchen).

But yep.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out which high school football game I'll cover.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm across the country, away from my family on Thanksgiving for the first time ever. This has always been my favorite holiday, so I'm pretty bummed about it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wouldn't worry about going home at Christmas, mainly because my boss would never give it to me. But I always did TG with the family -- mine or us here.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

If I was still with the Post, I'd be pissed off about right now. Trying to be a nice guy, I'd usually work both Thanksgiving and Christmas to give my people those days to be with their families. A small gesture of goodwill for my peeps. It felt good to be a nice guy to my crew, but boy did it suck screwing up my own holidays.

Hmph. Guess I don't have to worry about that this year. One upside to the death of my rag.

6. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to be the nice guy, so I'll be working.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I volunteered to work Thanksgiving and Christmas. Working a holiday, plus a five-day week = 6 1/2 days pay for working five. I'll take the extra couple hundred twice in a month. That's two car payments just for working two days.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd just get comp days, which I collect regularly every week. That's a sweet set-up, DC.

When I worked in high school, I made sure to work every holiday but Christmas for that same reason.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Spending some days with the daughter. Will be nice not to work.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm being a nice guy at thanksgiving. christmas? notsomuch.

i have a lot of days i have to use.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Guy at work asked me to pick up his day. I figured seeing as he has been in Iraq for the last two and just got married 5 months ago, it is the least I can do.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Our family thanksgiving is usually pretty small -- my parents and i, plus we'd trade off grandma between thanksgiving and christmas every year with my mom's sister's family (we don't all get along, so booze + the two families = bad idea). my mom has already mentioned setting an empty place setting for grandma (who died in September).

as for food -- we make oyster dressing instead of the usual dressing/stuffing. it took me 20 years to try it, but now it's one of my favorite parts of the meal. otherwise, it's turkey, sweet potatoes and "perfection salad" (gelatin-salad-y-thing).

of course, we're religious black friday people, but this year, I'm moving (my furniture, at least) on black friday and then doing a 5k on Saturday morning. Should make for an interesting weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted