1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

annual thanksgiving thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Nov 20, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

t-minus seven days, figured i'd get us started. per usual, just waiting to be entertained by tales from 21.

it's my family's turn to come to the shockeys, much to the eyerolling of the already stressed-out mrs. shockey.

thank gawd my sister is bringing plenty of pinot grigio, even though she can't drink due to medication she's taking to thin her blood. needs to rid her body of blood clots before knee surgery -- at the end of the summer she wrecked her right knee acl jumping off her hubby's boat.

yeah, sis ain't exactly nimble. but she sure is a team player! now she understands completely how much it sucks to be pretty much immobile and dependent on others. her kids side from her as much as mine do from me, lest they be asked to help us with something!

anyway, we'll have a total of 16, including the seven children. they's alls big kids now, though, ranging from 6-18, so at least they can fend for themselves, for the most part.

mrs. shockey does the turkey and green veggies, other sides are brought by my cousin's wife (stuffing, mashed potatoes), my sister (sweet potatoes, cookies), a family friend (more wine) and, of course, mother of shockey (pies, fruit, hor d'oerves).

eldest son of shockey will be the main attraction, regaling us with how his first college semester is going. ssince i'm pretty much crippled and devoid of any responsibilities other than eating and drinking, i look forward to these gatherings very much.

as we draw nearer and the phone calls from mom become a daily nuisance, i'll be able to post more anecdotal tales. just thought i'd get us started....

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'm just happy to be able to be home for it this year.

Spent far too many turkey days on the road doing this job in the past, including last year.

My favorite holiday, by far.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Thanksgiving night game on NFL Network is genius. Unless of course you don't get it.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The "Two Week Warning" was the countdown to 21, I think. This can be for us mere mortals. :D

I'm working, and my family's 14 hours away. So yeah.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Working.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll be away from the family for the second consecutive (not straight? But I like alliterations. ...) year and spending it with my adopted family, so to speak.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving will consist of a breakfast buffet, a full day's work and (technology willing) a Skype call home.

Best I can do from the other side of the globe.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My parents are coming here.

This is the size of my kitchen:

[​IMG]

We're eating out on Thanksgiving.

I'm just excited to see my parents, since I haven't seen them since May. And there's another special occasion going on on Thursday too. ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's too early for Flag Day, right?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm going to be hanging out with a house full of Cowboys fans, watching Dallas fuck the Seahawks up. Should be good times.

Maybe Matt Hassel-crap will pull something out of his ass for me.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Working, too. This used to be one of my favorite holidays, when my paternal grandparents were still alive and my family, plus my aunt and uncle, would all get together at their house in Florida for a few days.

I might try to find a place that sells already carved turkey slices and make some mashed taters and stuffing (which I've never made before) at home, just to make the kitchen at least smell like the holidays. That's what I always miss most, besides the family.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Just get a package of Oscar Meyer turkey bologna and go nuts, Buck. That's what the Native Americans would have done had it been invented back then.

Draft saved Draft deleted