1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Thanksgiving Day high school football thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Nov 26, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A large chunk of those Easton kids join the wrestling team right after the season.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, yeah. If you don't wrestle at Easton, you get beaten up for your lunch money every day.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Nobody's played high school football on Thanksgiving in Texas since G.A. Moore retired.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Rhode Island is up to seven games on Thanksgiving Eve (including the alma mater of myself, Rocco Baldelli and Will Blackmon).
    I don't like it. Bishop Hendricken's 20-game winning over Toll Gate had probably its closest call before the Hawks pulled it out, 21-18.
    When I was working in my hometown, Toll Gate actually had a six-game winning streak. Hasn't won since.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Hoosier Hysteria no more. Judging by the attendance numbers reported, the Indiana football finals are outdrawing basketball. Yeah, there's one more class, but still.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

It helped the amount of schools from the Indy area playing. But, yeah, football is definitely becoming more and more of a player in Indiana. Blame Peyton.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It is an interesting time, isn't it? The NFL's top superstar (in Q rating if not ability) playing for a perennially great team in a time when the state's flagship pro and college basketball programs are in the shitter.

And he heals the sick, too (the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital).

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hell, he's so cool, he doesn't even notice when hotel personnel are dissing him.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Definitely. I've been here five months, and it is shocking to me the amount of Colts jerseys I see every Sunday. Also the way most of them have completely forgotten that the Colts were a god-awful franchise for years.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Need to check your IHSA TV listings.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

To those of you who watched some Indiana state football... did you see the 5A game? Center Grove scored 22 fourth quarter points, helped by two onside kicks, to beat Carmel 36-33.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20081130/SPORTS0202/811300416/1159/SPORTS0202

The IHSAA also said this, "The 36th IHSAA State Finals drew a record Saturday crowd of 40,680 to set a new state finals record of 56,050 for the five games."

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think the best football is played in the FCIAC (at least better than in the SCC and ECC). Connecticut is kind of messed up as Turkey day is a big tradition, although more and more schools are going toward Wednesday nights, which as a coach, I welcome. The playoffs are tuesday and Saturday. I think Glastonbury wins the LL finals. I hope New London and Jack Cochrane lose in the SS playoffs and I Think Cheney Tech makes a nice story. There has been talk of going toward a schedule like the rest of the country and eliminating the Turkey day game, but that basically covers expenses for all of football and most of basketball seasons, even at smaller schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted