1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Rock & Roll Hall Nominee debate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

She needs to be inducted as a solo artist.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just sayin'... those solo albums bombed hard. It was more an indicator of hubris than popularity. All four combined sold less than a KISS album.

And the Spice Girls had a movie, too. (And it was released in theaters, unlike the KISS one.)

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Rush is the worst band ever who still puts out albums and plays 3-hour live shows to 12,000-15,000 a night people after 33 consecutive years together. And who plays those shows at normal speed. But hey, they're just not as "cool" as some other bands, according to Jann Wenner and friends.

And a cat.

KISS also belongs in. I don't like them, but they belong. Is Ozzy in as a solo artist?

Afrika Bambaataa is absolutely a pioneer of hip-hop, and should get in way before the Beastie Boys are even thought of. Not that the Beastie Boys don't belong, but it's like when AC/DC got in before Black Sabbath: one made some nice entertaining music that people enjoyed. The other helped invent an entire genre.

Madonna . . . . is this still the Rock and Roll Hall? Change the name, she's in. But she's not Rock and Roll.

Mellencamp is the impoverished man's Bruce Springsteen. Impact, OK, due to Farm Aid and such. Innovation? Influence?

4. Tom Traubert's Blues is not unlistenable. Neither are The Heart of Saturday Night, Ol' 55, Invitiation To The Blues, etc. etc. etc.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Rain Dogs" has some absolutely beautiful stuff on it, though his voice is obviously not for everyone.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

One of those etc.s better be Jersey Girl. The original version. With the line about the whores on 5th Ave. intact. Not the Springsteen version with lines about "gonna take those little brats of yours and drop 'em off at your mom's"

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That cat has better musical taste than you :D

That Def Lep isn't in is a complete travesty.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Edited because I should not wish ill on a cat named after Hope Solo.

Def Leppard should be in. Longevity and popularity matter.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If longevity and popularity mattered, KISS would be in.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Bob Dylan ain't exactly the greatest crooner on Earth. That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve enshrinement. Tom Waits may not have much of a voice (neither does Burt Bacharach, BTW), but his accomplishments as a songwriter merit induction in my opinion.

11. Piotr Rasputin

True.

I should have said they "matter to me."

Madonna will make it largely because of longevity and popularity.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Until they hold the ceremony in Cleveland instead of New York, the entire process can go fornicate with itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.