1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Rock & Roll Hall Nominee debate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Aren't you busy getting shots? Make sure the vet plays Rush's "Dog Years" for you while you're getting them. ;D ;D

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Um... I have no problem with suggesting KISS should go in the hall... but I'm not sure I'd be hanging my hat on the solo albums or "Kiss Meets The Phantom of the Park."

3. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

KISS should be in. As for Rush, I think they should be in for no other reason that their chick lead singer sounds hot.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

C'mon, Night Ranger only became eligible this year. Give them another year or two!

Here is a list of eligible artists who have not yet been elected. The site also lists the years that artists will become eligible (25 years after the debut of their first album). Kanye West in 2029!

http://www.futurerockhall.com/eligibles.php

5. Madonna -- Yeah, I suppose. Ugh.
    Chic -- NFW.
    John Mellencamp -- No, but he will.
    Beastie Boys -- Not unless...
    Afrika Bambaataa -- ..this guy does. (Leaving him out re: rap is like leaving Little Richard out re: rock and roll).
    Leonard Cohen -- Sweet Jesus, no.
    Dave Clark Five -- Only if they promise this doesn't open the British Invasion floodgates.
    The Ventures -- Absolutely. The missing evolutionary link between Les Paul and The Beach Boys.
    Donna Summer -- Sorry, no.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Those solo albums - with the exception of Ace Frehley's - were shit. As Rolling Stone said about Peter Criss's, "In his heart of hearts he wants to be Barry Manilow."

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

8. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I thought Paul's was pretty good too. Gene's was a joke and Peter Criss was even more so.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The lack of respect for Leonard Cohen blows my mind... This guy was Van Morrison before Van Morrison... He's absolutely fucking brilliant... There's a reason why guys like Bob Dylan are doing tributes to the guy...

Also, it's an absolute travesty that Rush isn't in... KISS deserves to be there as well, but the Rush musicians are 1,000 times better than KISS...

10. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

When did the R&R hall of fame start letting in pop acts?
    Is this a trend I've just never noticed before?
    Last year Van Halen and R.E.M get in, and this year Madonna? really?
    Her and Donna Summer, not rock and roll.
    Both are legit musicians, but the R&R hall of fame?
    Are you kidding me?

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's always been pretty broadly defined. It would be pointless to have a Rock hall without Motown, for example, and someone like Donna Summer is a pretty clear descendant of Motown.

Hell, Miles Davis is in.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I wasn't calling out the movie or solo albums as references of quality material. What I was trying to get across was they were signs of how big KISS was at the time in the rock and roll world.

How many groups prior had released a movie: Beatles, Stones, Zep....There's more I'm sure, but it's not a long list and I think you'd find most of those who did are in the Hall.

And no one has ever done a simultaneous release of solo albums by each member of the band. And no one would: it's economic suicide because they would cannibalize sales from each other. But, KISS was so big, so hot back then, they could and did do this.

You can choose to like or not like them, and you can debate the quality of the music. But, their presence on the musical landscape in the 70s and into the 80s absolutely warrants a spot in Cleveland.

And Ace's solo effort was actually pretty entertaining. For the uninitiated, I'd recommend 'Rip It Out', 'Speeding back to My Baby', and 'Fractured Mirror' for sampling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.