1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Missouri Valley bashing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jan 21, 2007.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I do not get this conference. Yes, I know they have great RPI's, and I know they have some great non-conference wins. But I absolutely hate it.

Evansville loses five in a row, then knocks off Southern Illinois and Missouri State?

Illinois State, which is not a good team by any measure, beats Wichita State and Northern Iowa?

Indiana State has some great, great home wins and some awful, awful losses (Middle Tennessee and Ball State, anyone?)

You had people pimping Wichita State for a No. 1 or No. 2 seed a month ago, now they can't win a game and will need a miraculous turnaround to get at-large consideration.

Bradley can beat anyone or lose to anyone.

Missouri State beats Evansville by 50 on January 9, then loses to them 12 days later?

Come on MVC, stop it already. Let three teams win the rest of their games, and the rest of you go away. I like parity, but a conference with that much parity doesn't deserve more than three bids. It's too damn confusing, and one of your crappy teams that finishes 10-8 in the league better not be bitching when it gets snubbed by the selection committee.

That is all.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Fear the MVC.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Dude, it's the MVC. There's gonna be bitchin' come Selection Sunday. In the MVC city in which I live, people on local message boards think as many as six MVC teams could get at-large bids.

BTW, your assessment of Bradley is simple, yet right on. They just beat WSU, albeit a struggling Shocker team, and they'll likely lose to visiting Illinois State this week.

4. Oz

Oz Active Member

In all fairness to the MVC, there's not one team with a losing record in that conference at this moment. Just saying.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Sounds like a fun conference. Seriously. I'd love to watch a ton of games where anyone could beat anyone. Makes for good games.

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

You know a lot about this conference. I couldn't even name the teams.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Have you watched college basketball the last few years?

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Our columnist wrote about the MVC the other day.

Since 1999 in the tournament, they've beaten higher-seeded teams 13 times. They've lost to lower-seeded teams just twice.

That's a fairly significant fact.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Paging Billy Packer Almost_Famous. Billy Packer, Almost_Famous to this thread immediately please.

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Yeah, but how many MVC teams have been seeded 1-8? In other words, the MVC team is the lower seed in the vast majority of the games, so it would be very unlikely for them to lose to a lower seed.

The committee isn't supposed to look at past years anyway. We all know the MVC teams have been good in the tournament. I just don't know how you're going to be able to sort them out this year or justify putting one in with a 10-8 conference record.

11. accguy

accguy Member

Here's what I don't understand:

If, for example, North Carolina loses at Virginia Tech, it's because the ACC is balanced, the Hokies are good and it's tough to win on the road.

If Creighton goes to Evansville or Illinois State and loses, it means the top teams in the Valley are frauds.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I wish I could explain Evansville basketball. I just can't.

But wait -- they'll be back to losing soon enough, like as soon as they set foot on the road again.

UE basketball: You know you want it, bitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted