1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Augusta National He-Man Woman Haters Club Masters Dilemma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

BYH, it's not just the media the club is hospitable to. It's the little world of golf, including women, who use the tourney as an informal end-of-winter convention, Opening Day if you will. And another anomaly. The club's stubborn resistance to integration is well-known historical fact. Yet for sure I saw more African Americans in the galleries than I have at most Boston sports events. I assume they give out those tickets to the Augusta African American Establishment. I guess it gets down to a weird difference between how the club thinks of itself and how it treats people it thinks of as guests.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Why would any Jew want to be someplace where they're not wanted?"

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member

4. I always thought that Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor would be the first female member at Augusta National.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Why would any Irish want to be someplace where they're not wanted?"

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, if you had any reading comprehension skills, you'd know that that many of the guys in here have stuck up for me against your ridiculous pathetic rants. I took you off ignore because I believed anyone can be rehabilitated and you actually seemed to behave yourself for awhile. But, alas, ignore is going back on.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If your read my post that seemed to start all of this off, I said "They're not as much in the Stone Age as you think."
    They're still in the late Stone Ages, I will agree. But Billy Payne has moved quietly to break tradition (more TV time, more front nine on TV, expanding the digital content availability, adding the Asian Amateur winner, bringing back the automatic PGA Tour winner invitation, etc.) I know club members. The privately believe a woman will be invited on Billy's watch.
    It's still their candy store. They can do when they want.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As you know, Hondo, Payne is sort of a bridge between the club's Georgia-centered members and its rest of the U.S. membership. It's a complicated place, Augusta National.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I look forward to Bodie and his families comments on Archie Bunker.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Why would you actually want to go through the front door?"

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Last year Tara Sullivan wasn't even allowed in the locker room door.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

"I think this place is restricted Wang, so don't tell them you're Jewish."

Draft saved Draft deleted